Chapter 18: Patient and Keen

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖘 winter drew to a close, talk turned to the King and Queen's fete at the Grand Palace. The Grisha Summoners were expected to put on a demonstration of their powers to entertain the nobles, and much time was spent discussing who would perform and what would make the most impressive showing.

"Just don't call it 'performing,'" Genya warned us at some point. "The Darkling can't stand it. He thinks the winter fete is a giant waste of Grisha time."

Once again, I had found myself agreeing with him. There's kind of a war going on? And a giant monster-filled rift cutting the country in half. The Materialki workshops buzzed morning and night with orders from the palace for cloth and gems and fireworks. The Summoners spent hours at the stone pavilions honing their "demonstrations." They could be using that time focusing on the war instead of the frivolous party. Still, Alina and I hadn't been to many parties, and it was hard not to get caught up in the talk of silks and dances and flowers.

Baghra could tell that my focus drifted elsewhere. Eerily, she knew that it wasn't all due to the fete. Once she smacked me and said, "Dreaming of dancing with your dark prince?"

I ignored her but knew she was partially right. If he and I get to have our talk, then maybe I'll bless him with a single dance. But he'd disappeared once again, and Genya told us that he'd left for the north. The other Grisha speculated that he would have to put in an appearance at the winter fete, but no one could be sure. Through our odd connection, I could tell that he was, in fact, up north. He wasn't extremely far away, so theoretically he could return in time for the party.

Most of my time was spent pushing my limits. I perfected the cut in the Darkling's absence, albeit my form of it. Botkin helped me train using my daggers made of starlight and night. Not only could I use them as throwing knives but I could also grip them for hand-to-hand combat. Beyond that, it became obvious that progress slowed. After all, every Grisha had limits to their power, even Kirigan.

Yet the general had vanished. Meanwhile, my sister and I couldn't shake the Apparat. I knew he was bothering Alina but over the last few weeks, he's started to follow me too. Always lurking in hallways and by the path to the lake. My twin told me that she thinks he might be trying to trap us alone again, but she didn't want to listen to him rant about faith and suffering. So I was careful never to let him catch Alina and me by ourselves.

Today the winter fete is going to occur and as such my twin and I are excused from classes. However, I still usher Alina to see Botkin because I can tell she's anxious about our demonstration. Personally, I'm more concerned about seeing the Darkling again. I already sensed his arrival yesterday, so I will most likely have to talk to him during the fete.

After a quick dinner and a soak in the bath, Marie and Nadia attempt to help my sister and me with our hair. Suddenly, the door opens and Genya slides in.

"They need you for the kefta," she says to Marie.

"No, I'm so late. Nadia, come on." Then both girls rush out after a quick goodbye.

Genya walks over to us and looks at our hair, "Thank all Saints I got here in time."
Alina and I laugh and my twin replies, "I think they tried their best, actually."

"Oh, they did. It just wasn't actually successful," I chuckle.

"That's a terrifying thought," the redhead responds. Then with a flick of her wrist, our hair magically loosens around our shoulders.

She looks at us and gives a little spin. Her tall frame is swathed in cream silk heavily embroidered in gold, her red hair piled high on her head to better display the massive diamonds dangling from her ears and the graceful turn of her neck.