"You're thinking about it again." His father sighed, giving him a knowing look. "How many times have I told you not to?"

"It wasn't voluntary." He scratched his head. His father could still read him like a kid. The older man smiled sadly, "You know she found a way to contact me right? She heard from the news... what happened to you-

"I'm sorry, father." Xavier stiffened in his seat, balling his fists. "I truly do not wish to hear about it."

"Xavier, she's still your mo-

"No. No, she is not." He said with finality. "She never deserved that title."

"No, she never did." His father sighed, agreeing. "It is her loss, to be certain. Although she says she wants to see you, to fix things. I find it hard to believe."

"I refused her twice before." Xavier bit out. "It's not going to change."

"I understand, son." His father gave him a reassuring smile. He'd always been the person he looked up to, and never once in his life did his perception of him change. "You know it's all up to you."

Xavier nodded and smiled, trying to diffuse the tension. Luckily his father was an expert in doing just that. "So you found a woman to, literally, take a bullet for?"

"Father," Xavier groaned, shaking his head at the laughing man. "I suppose I did."

"Ah," He calmed down and looked at his son contemplatively, "I suppose it's no use scolding you for being such an idiot. Love does that to us."

"Make idiots of men?" Xavier lifted a questioning brow. "Do you wish me to repeat that to Stephanie?"

"You do not dare." His father scoffed. "You proved that theory. You just thank your lucky stars you are well, and that Steph doesn't know you did it for a woman. Do you know how long she's been complaining about your spinster bachelor ways?"

"Spinster bachelor-" Xavier huffed in offense. "Yeah, only since I turned twenty. She knows I can't have children of my own. That's why Marie is the one married with kids."

"You could, had you wanted. You know that, Xavier." His dad called out his bluff in a deadpan voice. Of course, artificially. They weren't exactly living in the dark ages. He was sure there was a technology for that, but that's besides the point. "Plus, it's never been about you having kids. Steph, and, well, all of us worry for your health and wellbeing. She doesn't want you to remain alone all your life. And I agree. One cannot truly live without love, son."

"Dad..." Xavier sighed resignedly. He looked hesitantly at his father, "you know my situation's different right?"

"Oh yes, don't I know it." His father chuckled, "You've been smitten since you were a wee little boy with that woman haven't you? Even when she's married with kids. Enough to wait all these years... enough to take a shot for her." His father trailed off, turning his serious gaze to his son, "I sure do hope she is worth it."

"She is." Xavier said without wasting a beat. "She is worth it and more. I assure you."

His father smiled and nodded. "Good. Very well. I suppose I'm not too far to have adoptive grandchildren soon?"

Xavier almost choked on air then called out in frustration, "Dad!" He shook his head as his father got a good laugh. "You are all very traditional. I don't need to marry her to prove that I love her as much as I do. You should know that considering yours and Stephanie's situation."

"Bah, don't bring that up." His father scoffed, "Steph and I were married for a healthy long four decades. We had enough of sticking together. Divorce was a very refreshing change I tell you. I recommend every couple to try it every now and then."