CH. 43 Mind Games

Start from the beginning

"No problem," she smiled. "I had to help you, I wasn't just going to keep walking. Violet would kill me if I did that," she joked.

"Probably not," I looked the other way.

Amelia stopped in front of me, "Why do you say that?" her eyes squinted out of curiosity.

"Um, nothing, never mind," I did not want to give her the impression that there were problems between Violet and I. If she was interested in Violet, I did not want her to take this as a go to hit on Violet.

"Oh, okay," she brushed it off. "Anyway, what are you doing out here so late?" she wondered.

"Just needed to go for a stroll," I lied. Mainly because I didn't really want to elaborate on the whole bet thing. It was dumb. "What about you?"

"Same," she answered.

I sure was lucky that she saved me tonight.

**********

Violet's P.O.V

Comfortably, Rosemary had her head on my lap. Today's homework made her more mentally exhausted than other times. To prevent her from getting a headache, I massaged her head, softly. As peace as she looked, I really wanted to ask her a question. What Amelia said to me had me thinking.

"Rosemary, do you think other girls are pretty?" I was going to put her to the test. Caught off guard by the question, she stiffened. Already, I didn't like her reaction. Which bitch came to her head? "Answer truthfully, too," I enforced.

Lifting her head up from my lap, she sat up in bed. "I only see you," she assured, although it sounded rehearsed. Nope, not enough.

"I'm not saying that you wanna fuck them but when you see a cute girl, does your brain acknowledge that they're attractive?" I rephrased, trying to see if she'd keep the same response. Hesitant, she studied my face. I maintained a poker face. "It's okay, you can answer," I reassured, as if there wouldn't be any consequences.

Fidgeting with her hands, she looked down at them. "I feel like it's a trick question and I don't feel comfortable answering it," she stated.

"Come on, I won't get mad," to make it seem like I wasn't lying, I put on my most innocent smile.

"You always say that right before going Chucky mode on me," she compared me to. I rolled my eyes at her. "You're acting weird, Violet. That came out of nowhere," she reached for a pillow.

"Why did you call me by my name and not babe?" I questioned, upset by her dryness.

"You're just reaching at this point," she groaned and fluffed the pillow. Turning her back to me, she laid down. So no more napping on my lap? The audacity!

Ugh, she had a point though. Why was I like this? I was supposed to be making an effort to change my ways but it was too damn hard! I hated my temper and toxic side. I needed to try harder! Amelia still did not know Rosemary all that well, I needed to forget about what she said.

I needed to trust Rosemary.

"Baby, you don't want to rest your head on my lap anymore?" I pouted, showing her that I was losing the attitude.

"So you can smother me with a pillow?" She accused. Offended, I gave her a stink face. Eww. She was sick. Why couldn't she see my effort in trying to be less psycho?

Staying composed, I took a deep breath before  smiling again. "Baby," I spoke in a babyish voice. "You know I wouldn't do that," I leaned over to kiss her temple.

Leaning over a little more, I saw that a tiny smile crept to her lips.

"You keep me on my toes, so I don't know," she flipped over to her other side, now facing me. "Violet, why did you ask me that?" She wondered.