"Ah, I knew it was something different about you." Dré responded with a smirk. "I wouldn't associate you with the Valley type."

"Man, not one bit!" Carter exclaimed. "Sometimes I think about leaving it all and heading back to the city." He mumbled.

"Oh yeah? What's stopping you?"

Carter shrugged his shoulders, "Before? I would have said nothing at all. But now, ... now it's something more important keeping me behind."

"Please don't tell me it's that hard headed sister of mine?" Dré joked before taking a sip of his whiskey sour.

A loud laugh escaped Carter's lip, "Damn, now she has to be hard headed?"

"Now you've been around quite enough to start to know how she is, but I'm curious as to why she's now the reason you want to change your plans?"

As Dre's words settled into the air, Carter sat in deep thought while tapping his ashes against the marble tray.

"You don't have to give me some extravagant answer right away," Dré started since he could sense the nervous energy. "It's just good to know that she's attracted a genuine person on her side."

Carter shook his head in a disappointing manner, "If only she could realize that.."

"Trust me, that will take time. Giselle isn't the easiest woman to cling on to; she's been through some shit that would have easily killed some of the weakest links out here."

"Is that why you asked me about him?" Carter responded right away since the dots were slowly starting to connect.

"Partially, but that's not something I choose to get in to." Dré immediately pointed out. "I just like to make sure that my sister is protected at all times, and any threats formed against her should be handled properly."

"Well, believe me when I say I do not associate with that person at all, barely know him to be honest. But I did see how his presence made your sister feel, and if anything it make me want to guard her too — please know that I'll do my best to stick beside her."

"... Damn," Dré mumbled before smiling from ear to ear. "She got you whipped that fast?!"

The two bursted into laughter after a moment of silence and soon engaged in another dab to admit that there was definitely some truth to his statement.

"Too soon, too soon .." Carter replied with a smile.

"I mean yeah, but trust me when I say that it's so good to see another person care for her, especially someone she may soon be in a relationship with if that's where y'all are heading."

"I'm assuming I have a lot to prove before topping Michael, huh?"

"Absolutely; he was the first ever man other than myself she trusted. May his soul rest in peace." ... "How is the case coming along, anyway?" Dré pried.

Carter pursed his lips to the side before crafting a soft reply, "Suppose to confidential, but I'm sure Gis—"

"Yeah, nothing ever stay confidential between us." Dré cut him off. "I understand if you can't delve too deep into it, but I'm praying for y'all that everything turns out for the best."

"Absolutely." Carter agreed immediately. "We had a rough start but I'm definitely starting to see some progress."

"That's all that matters. I've been telling her from day one to keep things honest between y'all ... she's a good girl who needs to know nothing about what's in those brick ass walls — I speak from experience." Dré confided in him. He was surprised to notice how relaxed Carter made him feel in just a short period of time, and based of these emotions he was able to see how Giselle was able to warm up to him so easily; he was the cool rain needed to keep her burning blaze at bay.