I: A Traveler's Respite

Tian Ya Ke Week 2022 - Day 1
~ Prompt: Love Language

----------

The Ghost Valley was a place of inhumanity. Murderers, defilers, betrayers, those whose sins were no longer tolerable, a band of irredeemable criminals who had lost their place to stay in the world. Behind the lush bamboo forest of Mount Feng Ya, the beautiful landscape hid a lair abundant with evil, where these villains flocked and plotted day and night to claw their way up the seat of power among themselves, establishing their might in a place where only the strongest prevailed.

And Wen Kexing was the master who presided over these retrogrades.

Who knew how many had denounced his name to the mass? People despised him as much as they feared him; though few had seen his face with their own eyes, even the mere mention of his name could make children cry and men tremble. To reign over a den of vicious outlaws, irreplaceable for many years, how much more vicious must he become so they would bow in his presence? He was the embodiment of cruelty, a slaughterer, a deplorable offender, a wicked man, a ghost.

To the world, Wen Kexing was an intolerable existence that would much better be eliminated for the peace of mankind.

However, to Zhou Zishu, he was unlike those strings of curses said by others' mouths.

The chill of winter had long passed to make way for spring. As days after days unfurled across the season, the bone-freezing weather had thawed considerably, yet it still maintained some coolness in the whirling breeze.

It was one sunny day in the midst of spring. The sun was high up in the sky, with billows of white clouds providing a much needed shade from its blazing shine. The temperature was warm, but the gentle wind blowing across the city made for a comfortable time to spend outdoors.

Zhou Zishu was lying on a bamboo divan in the courtyard of an inn. This was a rather good resort in the city, its popularity did not fail to provide the patrons with quiet, undisturbed stay, particularly for those who resided in its best spaces. Plum blossom trees stood just around the corner of the yard. As he laid down for a pleasant nap this afternoon, Zhou Zishu could feel the soft fragrance wafting his way whenever the wind blew, rustling the delicate petals.

To say that he fell so deep in sleep was inaccurate, but he did not lie out here simply to close his eyes either. For almost half a shichen now, he had been drifting in and out of sleep; brief dreams coming and going as he floated in the sea of his consciousness. The him from the past would never have the opportunity to relax as much as his present self did, and now that he had this opportunity in his hands, why wouldn't he take advantage of it whenever he could?

It was then that he noticed a familiar presence drawing near. The other person's steps were soundless, but Zhou Zishu could tell by means of both his martial arts and familiarity with the approaching individual that he was walking in his direction. Zhou Zishu did not open his eyes, and neither did he stir in his sleep. Before long, the other person had reached his side, carefully sitting on the edge of the divan so as not to disturb his rest.

Zhou Zishu felt a pair of eyes gazing upon his person.

When he was not teasing and playing around, Wen Kexing was very quiet by nature. His temperament was calm and gentle, the kind of person able to nurture his cherished family with utmost care. He was loyal and attentive, loving and devoted. If those who had denounced him in the jianghu would hear of this trait of him, surely they would think that this was a different person altogether, refusing to believe that the ruthless master of the Ghost Valley was capable of doing such a tender act.

What an unfortunate fate it was for this person, unjust and pitiful.

As he thought as much, Zhou Zishu felt a warm big hand covering his own in a gentle motion; a thumb caressing the back of his hand. At this realization, he could not stop his mind from spiraling into an ocean of memories in the depth of his heart.

This was the hand that had claimed countless lives in its wake. How many bones had it broken? How many necks had it snapped? How many hearts had it crushed, sending blood and flesh to splatter everywhere as hair-raising screams reverberated from the ones whose souls were ripped out of their shells? This was the hand of one who stood above thousands of unforgivable ghosts swarming the bamboo forest of Mount Feng Ya, a hand that had been stained so deep in red it could no longer be washed clean.

But how many people knew that this hand had saved a little girl from an early death as a vulnerable child, raising her to be a fine and strong young lady? How many people knew that this hand had helped a youth find strength in himself after losing his entire family? How many knew that this hand had cooked warm meals, caring for those he loved more than he cared for himself?

Someone born with a kind and affectionate heart, how cruel of a fate was it that stripped him off his own family and threw him into a den of vicious monsters that was the Ghost Valley, to spend more than half of his life swimming in blades and blood. If only he had been raised in the bright wide world, far from vices and cruelty...

All of a sudden, Zhou Zishu felt Wen Kexing slowly raising his hand, placing his lips on his skin as he kissed the joints of his fingers one by one, the back of his hand, gently and carefully like one would treat a precious jewel. He brushed the strands of hair straying onto Zhou Zishu's face as they were blown by the wind, bending over to kiss his forehead with fond tenderness. Although his eyes were closed, Zhou Zishu was almost sure that this man was smiling at him as the gaze of those dark eyes fell upon his person. Only after a long while did he notice the other man rising from his seat, finally about to leave.

And yet before their hands separated, Zhou Zishu grabbed his fingers, ultimately stopping him in his tracks.

"A-Xu?"

Wen Kexing looked in his direction; the tone of his voice proved his surprise and bewilderment. Their line of sight collided with each other; one standing and the other lying down. Zhou Zishu said not a word in response, but Wen Kexing immediately beamed into a smile, returning to his side.

"You surprised me, A-Xu. I thought you were sleeping," he said, "Or did my arrival wake you up?"

Zhou Zishu had no need to say anything, for a little tug at the other's hand was already enough to make him understand his intention. Wen Kexing settled down by the side of the divan, propping up his shoulders as he helped him rise from his sleep. Sitting side by side, he brushed the locks of black hair falling down Zhou Zishu's chest away to his back.

"Are you thirsty, A-Xu? Shall I bring something for you to drink?" he asked again.

Yet to his question, he received not words for an answer, but a Zhou Zishu that suddenly leaned in towards him, resting against his shoulder.

"A-Xu?"

"I'm hungry," the latter mumbled, "What are we having for lunch?"

For a brief moment, Wen Kexing was stunned. Who knew what was running in his mind then? But it did not take long for him to break into a smile once more, wrapping his arm around the other.

"Anything my A-Xu likes," he said, "You only need to tell me what you want, and I'll make it for you."

The gentle spring breeze whirled across the courtyard, rustling against the delicate petals of plum blossoms in the corner. Of all the most beautiful things in the world, the tenderness of one's beloved was incomparable.

To the world, this man named Wen Kexing was a ruthless tyrant, a king of ghosts, someone whose existence was intolerable, that would much better be eliminated for everyone's peace.

However, to Zhou Zishu, he was the most loving friend, a caring husband, a soulmate he would most cherish in this lifetime and all the next to come.

----------

✿ Consider retweeting this? ('。• ᵕ •。') ♡
https://twitter.com/Akatsuki_Shin04/status/1509866385597681669

✿ List of all my fics and threadfics
https://twitter.com/i/events/1501173425905475586

✿ Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy the story. If you don't mind, please leave me some comments (*'︶'*) ♡