Chapter 66 - Bato

Start from the beginning

"But how did you find him on my ship?" Asks Zuko confused.

"My shirshu can smell a rat a continent away" Replies the lady.

"Well, I'm impressed" Says Iroh. The woman cracks her whip and the shirshu begins to race away.

❀❀❀

It's nighttime, team Avatar has settled down for the night beside the Water Tribe ship. Aang, Mizuki, and Momo are lying on Appa's paws. Katara and Sokka are laying in their sleeping bags. Sokka remains awake, poking a stick into a blazing campfire, looking worried.

{flashback}

Sokka's carrying a large bundle in his arms, wearing face paint. Hakoda's standing beside a ship, having handed a bundle to a man in the ship. Hakoda approaches Sokka and stands in front of him.

"Sokka-" Hakoda gets cut off by Sokka.

"I'm coming with you" Protests Sokka.

"You're not old enough to go to war, Sokka, you know that" Says Hakoda.

"I'm strong, I'm brave, I can fight! Please, dad!" Pleads Sokka desperately while Hakoda lays his hand on his son's shoulder.

"Being a man is knowing where you're needed the most. And for you right now, that's here, protecting your sister" Sighs Hakoda.

"I don't understand" Sokka looks up at his father as his eyes begin to tear up.

"Someday you will" Replies Hakoda slightly upset. Sokka throws his bag aside and throws himself into his father's arms.

"I'm gonna miss you so much" Says Hakoda as he embraces his son.

{end flashback}

Suddenly, a strange noise is heard.

"Who's there?" Exclaims Sokka as he stands up while holding his boomerang. Mizuki wakes up from the sound and stands up as well, and takes on a fighting stance.

"Show yourselves" Threathens Mizuki as she opens her water pouch. A man with white bandages wrapped around the upper left portion of his torso steps out of the shadows.

"Sokka?" Says the man surprised.

"Bato?" Sokka raises an eyebrow.

"Who the what now?" Mumbles Aang as he wakes up along with Katara.

"Bato!" Exclaims Katara cheerfully. Sokka and Katara run towards Bato and embrace him, leaving a confused Aang and Mizuki behind.

"Sokka! Katara! It is so good to see you two. You've grown so much!" Beams Bato happily.

"Hi, I'm Aang" Greets Aang as he bows. Mizuki does the same.

"I'm Mizuki" She says.

"Where's dad?" Asks Sokka as he lets go of Bato.

"Is he here?" Asks Katara.

"No, he and the other warriors should be in the Eastern Earth Kingdom by now" Informs Bato. Upon hearing these words, both siblings look down upset.

"This is no place for a reunion. Let's get inside" Suggests Bato as he turns around and slings his arms around Sokka and Katara, leading them away. Mizuki and Aang follow them.

❀❀❀

"After I was wounded, your father carried me to this abbey. The sisters have cared for me ever since" Explains Bato.

"Superior, these are Hakoda's children. They've been traveling with the Avatar and dualbender. I found them by my boat" Says Bato as he turns around to face a woman.

"Young Avatar, and dualbender. It gives me great joy to be in your presence. Welcome to our abbey" Beams the woman.

"Thank you, it's truly an honor to be here. If there's anything-" Aang gets cut off by Sokka.

"What smells so good, Bato?" Asks Sokka curiously. Mizuki shoots Sokka a glare. Aang was trying to talk.

"The sisters craft ointments and perfumes" Answers Bato.

"Perfume? Maybe we can dump some on Appa, because he stinks so much. Am I right?" Sokka points at Appa who grunts in response. Everyone's silent for a second.

"You have your father's wit" Says Bato dryly as he enteres a tent, team Avatar follows him.

"Bato, it looks like home!" Beams Katara.

"Everything's here, even the pelts!" Gushes Sokka while Mizuki looks around curiously. Mom used to have a pelt too, dad didn't like it though.

"Yeah, nothing's cozier than dead animal skins" Scoffs Aang sarcastically, earning a chuckle from Mizuki. Katara stands by the fire and opens the lid of a pot cooking over the fire.

"No way! Stewed sea prunes!" Gushes Katara.

"Help yourself!" Chuckles Bato.

"Dad could eat a whole barrel of these things!" Mentions Sokka excitedly. Aang takes a bowl of stewed sea prunes and sniffs it, but looks away in disgust and sets it to the side.

"Let me guess, it has meat. Doesn't it?" Whispers Mizuki amused while Aang nods.

"Bato, is it true that you and dad lassoed an arctic hippo?" Asks Katara curiously.

"It was your father's idea, he just dragged me along. Well, the hippo did the dragging!" Replies Bato.

"Hey, I ride animals, too! There was this one time when I rode a giant eel and I-" Aang gets cut off by Sokka.

"So, who was it that came up with the Great Blubber Fiasco?" He asks curiously. Mizuki raises an eyebrow, does Sokka even realize that he's constantly cutting Aang off?

"You knew about that?" Asks Bato as he lets out a chuckle.

"Everyone does!" Beams Katara.

"What's the story about?" Asks Mizuki curiously.

"It's a long one Mimi, some other time" Replies Sokka. Mizuki sighs and looks away, it's probably just a really, really long story. Aang notices this and tugs Mizuki's sleeve.

"You and dad had so many hilarious adventures" Points out Katara. Mizuki looks up at Aang who puts a fur pelt on his head, in an attempt to cheer her up. Mizuki starts to laugh.

"Not all of which were hilarious at the time, but everything's funny in hindsight" Points out Bato.

"Hey, Aang! Please put that down, it's ceremonial and very fragile" Pleads Bato as he notices Aang and Mizuki goofing off. Aang puts the pelt back on the wall and sits down next to Mizuki.

"Was it you or dad that put an octopus on your head and convinced Gran-Gran you were a water spirit?" Asks Sokka curiously.

"Your dad wore the octopus, but I did the spooky voice" Says Bato as he lowers his voice, making Sokka and Katara laugh.

To be continued

Word count: 1.583