Types of Scoliosis:

There are three types of scoliosis: Idiopathic, congenital, and neuromuscular. Idiopathic means, "no known cause", and it's the most common type of scoliosis seen in most cases. Congenital means "present at birth", as most people are born with this type of scoliosis, due to abnormal development in the womb. Neuromuscular means "relating to muscles or nerves", and usually because of birth defects, such as spina bifida or cerebral palsy.

Causes of Scoliosis:

1. Genetics or family history

2. Complications of recent surgeries

3. Wear-and-tear arthritis, or "osteoarthritis" (in older adults aged 40 or older)

4. Cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, and other birth defects.

5. Spinal cord deformities, injuries, and infections of the spine.

Risk factors:

Gender: Males and females can both have scoliosis, but it is most common seen in girls due to the much higher risk of the curve worsening during adolescence.

Age: Symptoms of scoliosis usually begin during puberty, but can sometimes begin in adulthood. Most adult scoliosis cases are very serious and require immediate medical attention.

Family history: Scoliosis usually runs in families, due to hereditary factors, but most people do not have a family history of the condition.

What is a Cobb angle?

A Cobb angle is a term used to describe the severity of your curve, which is usually measured in degrees. A Cobb angle from 10 to 20 degrees is usually considered a mild curvature, while 20 to 30 degrees is considered a moderate case of scoliosis. A severe case usually indicates a Cobb angle of more than 30 degrees. Once a curve reaches 40 degrees, straightaway treatment is usually recommended.

Where did scoliosis get its name?
Scoliosis is an Ancient Greek word for "crookedness". The earliest known record by Hippocrates was recorded in about 400 B.C., and the word scoliosis became known in 200 A.D. after Galen invented the term.