What Does the Spine Do?

The spine is a bone in your upper, middle, and lower back, where it contains the spinal cord and cerebrospinal fluid. Connected to the spine is your rib cage and your vertebrae, which are tiny bones that protect your spinal cord from damage due to traumatic injuries. Scoliosis is just a term that describes your spine as, "crooked" or curved.

Most cases of scoliosis are extremely mild, and many people with the condition don't need treatment. However, if a doctor suspects that a person has scoliosis, he or she can monitor the individual's symptoms or begin an exam on the spine.

What else does the spine do? It gives you stability, it supports your body as you walk or run, and it gives you flexibility...including giving you balance. The spinal column also protects nerve roots in the spinal cord so they don't get damaged as well. Your spine also gives you the ability to jump, twist, bend, sit, run, and walk. Many joints (called facet joints) along the spine give you this opportunity.

Without a spine, you wouldn't be able to live due to the fact that the spinal cord helps transport neurological messages from the brain and nerves. In addition, your heart wouldn't pump blood, your lungs wouldn't help you breathe, your kidneys wouldn't flush out toxins, and your digestive system would not be able to filter out waste because of the fact that the brain would not be able to function properly without your spinal column.

So with that being said, let's get down to what causes scoliosis and the risk factors that make scoliosis more likely.