chapter thirteen - special girl

layla's eyes slowly flutter open to be met with the sunshine glaring through the curtains.

she tries to remember where she is, and she's suddenly met with the events of last night.

she smiles warmly before turning over, expecting to see sam lying there, his hair in his face, breathing softly as he's still asleep, but unfortunately, when she turned around, there was no one there, simply just the slightly crumbled sheets, a marking of where he once was.

layla got up out of bed, pulling her jeans back on along with her shirt. she looked in the mirror and fixed herself up slightly before opening the door and making her way downstairs.

"layla!" an all too familiar voice said to her happily as soon as she reached the bottom step.

"hi mrs kiszka." layla said as she embraced her in a hug.

"how many times have i told you to stop calling me that?" karen asked.

"right... sorry karen." layla said, chucking nervously.

karen smiled to her warmly before turning around and walking to the kitchen.

"i've made you breakfast." she said, "feel free to dig into whatever."

layla took a deep breath, taking in all the smells that was slowly from the kitchen bench. from pancakes to bacon and eggs — it was truly something else.

"wow, looks amazing." layla said, grabbing herself a plate and grabbing bits and pieces.

"has sam been down here, do you know?" layla asked, looking up to karen.

"i haven't seen him." karen said, shrugging her shoulders, "but josh is just out the back." she added.

layla finished putting the food on her plate and poured herself an orange juice, before walking out the back door onto the porch, where she saw josh eating his breakfast at the little wooden table.

"hey." layla said happily, taking a seat across from him.

"have you seen sam?" layla asked as she began to eat, "i haven't seen him all morning."

"i wouldn't have a clue, layla." josh said.

uh-oh, layla thought to herself.

josh only called layla her full name when he was mad or annoyed, otherwise he'd usually call her 'lay's'.

"okay, what's wrong?" amber asked as she set her knife and fork down.

josh took a sip of his orange juice and looked up to layla, and just as he was about to say something, he backed out.

"it's nothing... i'm just tired that's all." josh lied.

layla raised an eyebrow, "are you sure?" she asked.

"well i couldn't get much sleep with banging on the wall." josh said, smirking slightly.

layla's cheeks burned a bright red.

"y-you heard all of... that?" she asked him.

josh nodded, "i always do."

layla sighed.

"i'm so sorry, joshy." layla said, picking up her knife and fork and beginning to eat again.

"it's fine." he said, shrugging it off.

then, ronnie came out onto the back porch.

"you guys wanna go to a bar tonight?" she asked them randomly.

layla looked to josh, and they looked into each other's eyes, communicating silently.

"sure." layla said, "we'll go." she answered on behalf of the both of them.