chapter one - an unexpected reunion

layla breathed in the cool winters air as she walked out her front door, then down her front steps and eventually to a coffee shop.

layla ordered herself hot chocolate, having to wait a few minutes until she finally heard her name get called out.

she decided to find a park bench by the park and drink her hot chocolate by the embrace of children's laughter.

layla watched as a group of kids played together happily, running around and playing tag.

she missed those days...

she missed the people she once considered her closet friends.

josh, jake, sammy and danny.

they were her best friends, her family.

they did everything together.

from playing tag, to riding their bikes together to school, to watching the stars in the backyard, to going on road trips and to doing band practices together.

to say that layla was devastated to hear that the boys were leaving was an understatement.

she was heart broken, torn to pieces, completely destroyed, all because she couldn't go with them.

she was stuck in this little town, desperately wanting to get out and explore the world with the boys, tour with them and watch as they performed in-front of thousands.

though she never got to do any of that.

layla instead took on the family business and has now been running the store for a year.

layla has gotten the occasional message or two from danny and jake, checking up on her and asking how things are, though she doesn't get a single message or call from sammy — the one person she wants to hear from most.

which leads on to how josh has always messaged layla everyday, and even called her whenever he got the chance, always asking what's new despite her telling him constantly that nothing has changed for a few months now.

layla misses the boys, she truly does, but she knows that they are out there doing great things, making her proud.

suddenly layla's phone pinged, and she smiled as she read over josh's name.

josh
gooooood morning beautiful!

layla
hello handsome ;)

layla and josh always joked together, calling each other cute names and always bringing each other up and making them feel wanted.

josh
what's new this fine morning?

layla
nothing new at all.
it's getting kind of boring here josh!
i neeeeeed company, please visit!

or i'll be ditching you as my
best friend and your mom
will take your place.

josh
you just gotta be wait
two weeks until christmas,
and we'll all be home to
smother you in kisses,
hugs and presents.

layla
awwweeee x

josh
how's momma and papa kiszka doin'?