CHAPTER 10 - Of Chess

Start from the beginning

"How are you?" Nova asked, cautiously.

"Flawless," Ralph muttered.

In the moment, Nova comprehended just how Ralph was faring—he appeared stressed somehow, face pale and red eyes sunken. Him and Ralph had never been close friends, just mutual, who met during royal conventions and meetings, and Ralph wasn't exactly as social as Nova himself had been. But in the moment, Nova felt as though they had always been closest of friends.

"And next time when you arrive," Ralph pointed an index finger to his right, "door's that way. Knock."

Nova innocently raised his brows. "I was told that being the High King gives me access everywhere."

"Not in common people's houses, that too at such a throne-awful hour, no."

"Couldn't sleep," Nova said.

Suddenly, Ralph was looking at him in a way that reminded Nova of the Mind Sorceress's similar inquisitive look, when he had disturbed her the previous night. And tonight, he was at another Mind Sorcerer's place... perhaps he was just a prey to their 'sorcerous pull,' as Althea had said.

"Well, I can't sleep either." Ralph scratched a ringed-forefinger over his brow a little awkwardly. "Want to play some... chess?"

Nova nodded and Ralph gave him a soft dimpled-smile. His friends were clearly trying hard to awaken something in him which he knew not even existed anymore.

***

Twirling a rook between his fingers, which had been eliminated from his arsenal right at the start, Nova looked at the parchments lying on the surface of the table beside the heavy chessboard. He picked up a scrunchy one, the illegible slant handwriting depicted a summary of a recent trade summit.

Ralph straightened up, "Happened last week. At the Summer Panel. Bless Lord Orlon who proposed the first ever trade with the Autumn Realm and kept me updated." He pulled another parchment and trailed a finger over an annexure, "But the issue remains, the new Queen has raised the taxes."

Nova's eyes widened. "One cannot raise taxes after a battle. That's horseshit."

Ralph sighed. "I am trying to find a way to talk my mother out of all kinds of shit. But I have a theory she is being brainwashed by her council of ministers. She is clueless when it comes to finances."

"What are you going to do then?"

"Well, now that I can't be there, I need intel. Going to put some spies. Females, precisely."

Nova was speechless. He remembered the night when his mother had slapped Ralph in front of the others and suddenly his throat went dry. When one's family was the only thing hurting you, there's little you can do about it.

And yet he had killed his brother with his own hands.

"This will affect your position as well..." Ralph was saying, but stopped.

"Tell me."

He paused a little in contemplation. "There is a... wave of non-cooperation against the throne. Since, your first court is in the Autumn Realm, my people here call you... biased."

Nova panicked, "No. I... what!" His breaths turned stormy; a deep hurricane churned in his guts. Him? Biased?

"I know," Ralph spoke in a calm tone, "Wherever the High King goes, the central court goes. We placed your court there, since Una wields the most authority after King Maris. Don't you worry."

Warmth spread in his bones. "It still baffles me how Una and you work together. Doran, I understand, he sweet talks everywhere... but you two!"

Ralph deeply chuckled, "Like a charm. Enemies, who?"