Whispers of the Past

Sans laid in his bed, deep in thought. After years of starvation, having a proper meal and some sleep had really, truly done wonders for his sanity. He felt like for the first time ever, he could think clearly. And he did think. Mostly about you, the human who'd fallen twice. For once, your words held some sort of merit. He could remember that he did have a friend of a different species back then... someone he was protective of. Whether it was actually you or not, he couldn't remember. Even more frustrating, he couldn't recall the name of this friend. He could only guess that it was you. Everything you said and everything you did... it all pointed to that being the case. Sans was glad that it was you. You were a good person. He liked you, killing you would've been the worst thing he'd ever done because for the first time, Sans had hope. Papyrus did too. Hope for survival, hope for the future. Sans wasn't going to let the likes of Undyne or Alphys take that away from him. Take YOU away from him. Sans sat up at the sudden realization. One that he hadn't put together until now. "i love her.."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Papyrus sat beside you as you recounted everything that happened to you and Sans during the trip. "So then I had to strip your brother down so I could patch him up. Gotta admit, for bones he looks good. I mean, it suits him, his build- I mean-" Papyrus had an oddly mischievous look about him. "Papyrus... it's not what your thinking." He crossed his arms. "OH REALLY? IF I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER, I'D SAY YOU LIKE MY BROTHER." You started blushing. "Pfft, what? That's- that's preposterous! Me and- no, no!" You denied immediately. "UH-HUH. WELL. I THINK HE LIKES YOU TOO." You flushed a brighter shade of red. "I- I don't... I.." Papyrus chuckled. "HE HASN'T KILLED YOU YET, HE SEEMS CALMER AROUND YOU. OPEN. HE'S PROTECTIVE OF YOU AS WELL. SANS IS... HARD TO READ, BUT I REALLY THINK HE LIKES YOU!" You stopped sputtering in favor of thinking on his reactions towards you and vice versa. "Oh my stars, I really do have feelings... nooo... he was my, I don't, uhg." You leaned back into the couch. "... I'LL BE IN THE KITCHEN AND SANS IS IN HIS ROOM." Papyrus left you to think on things.

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

"i promise, [Y/N], when monsters make it to the surface, i will find you and we will play again, like old times. until then, i won't forget you and spread your memory, human of snowdin." A young Sans, lacking the blood and dust and gaping hole said, holding out his pinkie to you in order to make the promise official. You went to interlock your pinkie with his, but he suddenly wrapped an arm around your back, pulling you closer. You gasped and looked at Sans, the Sans you knew now with the blood, dust, and gaping hole. "'m sorry." You looked confused. "Why?" He nestled himself into your shirt. "i forgot 'bout our promise." You were even more confused. "But we haven't even made the promise yet?" You questioned. His phalanges brushed lightly through your hair. "yeah we did, you were just out of it. you were sick." You paused. "But you remember now?" Sans chuckled. "you wish. you wish i remembered, you wish i gave you this sort of attention."
"This sort of..." He reached up, teeth brushing against your lips. "you know what i mean.."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You blinked awake yawning. Honestly you hadn't meant to fall asleep or dream about- wait, where were you? You sat up in the bed...? and looked at your surroundings. It had to be the darkest room in the house, you could hardly make anything out. From the feel of it though, you were on a sheet less bed, with tears on the bed. You could barely make out a treadmill, a dresser and.... a tornado? This, you realized, must be Sans room. You slipped off the bed and onto the definitely torn carpet and felt around for the door. Just as you found the knob, the door opened though, pulling you with it and into Sans. "Ah- I'm sorry!" He tilted his head. "you fell asleep on the couch, figured you'd be better off sleeping on a mattress for once." Sans didn't comment on the accident which was fine by you. "Oh, um, thank you Sans.." He hummed in acknowledgement while you tried to force down a rising blush. "there's a piece of quiche waiting for you on the table. we will be leaving soon."

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

You thought on your interaction with Sans as you savored the slice. Well, tried to anyway. It was hard when you're constantly hungry. It seemed normal to you, like it had always been between the two of you since Papyrus instructed Sans to guard you. You could definitely say you reentered the friend zone, but a relationship? That seemed unlikely. Besides, saving the Underground should be your top priority, not whatever it was that you and Sans had. "what's on your mind?" Sans asked, making you jump. He was looking at you, leaning against his axe and repeatedly tapping his phalanges against the handle. You tried to think of a diversion quickly. "How are we going to get to the Lab without going through what we did last time. Sans smirked, eye going half lidded. "i know a shortcut."
"... if you know a shortcut, why didn't we use it before?!" You gaped at him. He shrugged nonchalantly. "couldn't." You narrowed your eyes at him. "But why?"
"can't say." He mused. "ruins the mystery." You balked. "What mystery?!?" He pointed at your meal. "finish that and i'll show ya." You didn't need to be asked twice.