Chapter 20: Absence

Start from the beginning

Heeseung was so glad when he heard the news. Finally, he won't be the only one learning but every children in the kingdom.

You already started screening the applicants who came from different parts of the kingdom. Starts training them and has instructed a local printing press in the kingdom to start with the learning materials you have created in just three days.

You were drowning with work but you were happy. Not only were you living your dream but it was also a great distraction from

"The general has arrived," the pager announced.

Your heart started pounding and your eyes widen wuth excitement. Your lips spread to a smile and before you even know it, you were sprinting to the meet him, excited to tell him all about your week.

You see him dismount his horse and lands on the ground. He pulls his cloak back to reveal his even tanner skin and his longer hair. His arms seems stouter than before he left.

You bow to greet him, "Welcome back your highness," you said.

You expected him to greet you back or even acknowledge your presence but you watch as his boots walk pass you.

You stand straight and watch his back farther and farther as he walks away without even looking at you.

At that moment, you felt something painful in your chest.

The excitement died down inside you and felt as if crying.

Why?

Why would you cry?

Maybe he's just tired from his trip.

Maybe he has something to attend to first.

But why didn't he even look at you?

You blink your tears away and turns around to resume what you left.

With an unfamiliar pain in your chest that you ignore, you continued writing your daily report.

Sunoo walks into the library with you already fast asleep on your desk. It's wbout time for dinner and you were nowhere to be found. Heeseung was right, you were here.

"It's time for dinner, you need to wake up," Sunoo coaxes you to concsiousness.

With a little more shake, you peel your eyes open and looks around.

"Is it already?" You ask Sunoo.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I had to wake you up," your brother says. "I know you're tired, the deployment of the teachers you've chosen is tomorrow. You need all the strength you can get," he adds.

You could only nod and let him lead you. He's right, you need all the strength you can get for tomorrow. You arrived at the kitchen where you normally eat.

"What are you doing here?" Shi hyuk asks you. "Isn't she supposed to be in the great dining hall?" He asks Eli this time.

"Right, I haven't had the chance to tell you since we did tons of laundry today. The king wants to have a dinner-report with you regarding the deployment tomorrow,"

Why only now Eli? You protest in your head.

Nonetheless, you still go.

You squeeze Sunoo's hand and starts walking to the grand dining hall. You enter there, your eyes already glued to Jungkook.

They've already started eating. You bow and announce your presence.

"You majesty, you highnesses. Apologies for being late,"

"You're here! Finally!" Teahyung stands to walk you to you.

This would be the first time for you to eat here in the dining hall, with the three of them complete. Heeseung waves at you and you wave back at him. The king pushes your chair as you sit.

You look at Jungkook but he wasn't sparing you a glance. You reminded yourself to give him space while he rests. It's like he's back to his old self. But then again, did you ever even knew him genuinely?

The dinner was what you focused on. Later on that night, Jungkook made his early leave and walked out without looking at you.

Your heart dropped.

Did I do something? You ask yourself.

Give him more time.

Was what you kept saying even though you really, really miss him. Even though you already wanted to tell him what you feel.

•••