I Get Promoted to Top Caterer ~ Ch4

Start bij het begin

As I walked through the many people in suits and dresses, a sour smell corrupted my nose. My eye twitched as I stopped, it was horrible. It was disgusting! It smelt like rotten Kool-Aid that was filled with salt. I looked around to find the source, but then my eyes landed on the person standing next to me, holding....wine.

I gagged. Even though I was surrounded by it constantly, blocking it out of my mind was easy, but I was super close to it now. Seriously, who even likes that stuff?
Rolling my eyes, my hand shook from underneath the tray. Here's a lesson for you, never become a waiter. Unless you want people to boss you around, leave with no tip, and laugh at you for being low class...don't become one.

I stopped my wobbling hand by putting both underneath. I bet I'd look ridiculous from walking around like a staged mannequin, but I didn't care. While I walked looking for my sister and the snooty man, I eavesdropped on the other people.

Words sounded in the air, "Yacht cleaning-"
"Careless butler-"
"Wonderful ball-"
"He's getting into trouble at Private school-"
"Does my gold necklace look dull?"
"This diamond ring-"
"My mansion has termites-"
"The three houses I own, I'm selling them-"

I quivered. My legs shook as I walked along the people. They were talking, they were talking too much...they wouldn't...they wouldn't shut up! I breathed heavily as everyone walked around and talked. I should have been used to this now. I shut my eyes and my chest felt like air was trying to come out, my legs came to a stop and my head felt dizzy.

And then the lights flickered.

Everyone gasped, and that made it worse. I flinched as every detail that made noise touched my ears, every nostril slowly pull in, the air escaping from the room it lives in, the faint whhsssp sound it made. My ears were sensitive. I shut my eyes and was about to scream at the frustration, when...I heard it.

I heard the music. The soft piano that still played, bounced with a thousand different colorful sounds into my ears. The cello that was to be harsh and soft in retrospect, was both evil and kind out loud. The tune was calming, it was rhythmic, it was unreal...it was beautiful. It was beautiful despite not having a physical feature.

And it was the only thing that I heard.

I stayed still until I was pushed forward. The wine spilled out of the glass. I caught myself before I could fall. But the glass flew to the ground and made a cracking sound. Anger was my emotion now. I turn around, "Hey!" I snap. I stop, when I see Angelo. He looks at me with distaste and turns completely towards me, "A good waitress can hold the tray properly," he chides.

A good father would treat his kids like kids, not labor.
"Sorry," I utter through clenched teeth. I'll admit that never in my life have I felt remorse for Angelo. He demolished my hopes of my parents ever getting back together when I was six. He took away my toys and my childhood and gave it all to Jenna when I was seven. He persuades my mother into marrying him, he just....just...just-just "YOUR HAIR IS FAKE!" I determinedly shout to his face, and I walk away.

I nodded
Good one
My feet strolled along the floor and I hummed happily. I just told off my step-father, I feel...the drinks. I sigh and stomp the ground with one foot. I have to go back and get the broken glass I dropped. This was horrible! I just gathered up courage to make my small victory come true. Made an awesome exit, and now.

I rolled my eyes and turned around. Angelo watched me walk back, even though I just told his most embarrassing secret he looks at me like he just gave out mine. As I bend down to pick up the glass he snickers and I see his leather shoes slide around. I purse my lips and focus on my work down here. He walks a few steps away but I still hear his conversation.