ticklish , nick

disclaimer for oneshots about nick!
- out of respect for nick, any oneshot i write about him will be written as nickxmale!reader. i obviously can't tell you how to imagine the story, so if you wanna imagine it as a female!reader, go ahead. but this is the intended interpretation of it. thank you!

-

❝ i learned my passion in the good ol' fashioned school of lover-boys . . .
good old-fashioned lover boy, queen

-

cw: none
! fluff

-

you lick the tip of your finger and flip the page of your biology book, aimlessly looking through the various notes you jotted down, the information drifting in and out of your head like sand through a sieve. you run a hand through your hair and groan, looking across the room at the brunet sitting at his desk.

"are you getting any of this, man?" you ask, rereading the notes one more time before giving up and slamming the textbook closed. "fuck it. i knew i shouldn't have taken this as an ap course."

nick swivels his desk chair around to face you. "oh, c'mon, dude. it isn't that bad. what aren't you getting? maybe i can help you," he says with a soft, sarcastic smile.

"you're bullshitting. you don't understand any of it either, do you?" you ask, uncrossing your legs and dangling them over the foot of the mattress.

nick laughs. "yeah, no. i don't care at this point. if we fail the ap exam, we can always skip college."

"yeah? and do what?" you ask, grinning at the idea of skipping, of doing anything with nick. "we could go work at a little coffee shop in the middle of nowhere."

"mhm," nick says, switching off the lamp on top of his desk so that the only light in the room is the one attached to the fan on the ceiling. "maybe you can find your perfect little coffee shop romance. y'know, go on coffee dates with her and stuff."

your face flushes a bit, but you desperately try to keep it under control. honestly, you're a bit shocked that nick still hasn't figured out your sexuality yet. is he that oblivious? you aren't exactly secretive about it. one would think that enough inappropriate jabs and too-close touches would do the trick, but apparently, with nick, it doesn't.

"yeah..." you say, reaching up to scratch the back of your neck, awkwardly.

nick snorts. "you don't seem too happy about that. it's okay, we don't have to work at a coffee shop. we could go anywhere! we don't even need jobs."

"uhh, yeah, we do, nick," you say. "how are we supposed to get money?"

he shrugs, and you laugh. "we'll figure it out. just like we'll figure out this stupid-ass biology concept, and then we won't even have to worry about it, because we'll get, like, full-ride scholarships to harvard or something."

"wow. such small, humble dreams."

"don't be a prick, it's totally possible... maybe."

you laugh, and nick stands up from his desk and walks over to flop down on the bed next to you. you lay back so that you're level with him.

nick turns his head to look at you, and you do the same. "what if we don't even stay friends throughout the rest of high school? and then we don't go to college together, or work together, or anything?"

you smile to yourself, and again wonder how nick hasn't figured out that you aren't exactly straight. you know nick is gay, he had been out when you met, and talking about your future with your best friend like it's the most important thing to you in the world isn't really a heterosexual thing to do.