Saki Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Start from the beginning

They were talking about something and Luffy had yet to see him, so he kneeled down with arms out and called out to the kid.

"Luffy! Over here!"

Luffy jumped a bit and quickly swivelled his head to the left, where he caught sight of red hair and a crumpled dress shirt.

And his face lit up brighter than a dying star, his chocolate eyes warm and gleaming as he gasped and cried out, "SHANKS!!!!"

Ace and Sabo giggled behind him with their own smiles shining, watching as Luffy held a hand to his hat and barrelled into the Red Haired pirate's open arms.

Shanks quickly picked the kid up and swung him around, hugging him tight, Luffy's hat falling onto his back by the string.

By the time Shanks put them down they both had tears in their eyes, Luffy's falling freely while Shanks wiped the gleaming drips away before they fell.

Neither let go though, Shank's hugging Luffy tight to his chest on the deck floor.

"I'm so glad your okay kiddo," Shank's whispered into Luffy's ear, holding him just a little closer.

Luffy lifted his head, chin resting on Shank's chest.

"I thought I would never see you again!" The kid smiled through tears, the grin wagering and voice a little quieter as he added, "I thought everyone had given up."

New tears pricked Shank's eyes and they fell before he could stop them. His chest ached, a stone in his stomach as Luffy's words registered.

"Oh… Luffy," Shanks murmured, holding the kid protectively, "I never stopped looking. Your letter was the best thing that ever happened to me."

Tears poured from Luffy's eyes as a small sob escaped him, burying his face in Red Hair's chest, gripping the back of his shirt with small hands.

They stayed like that for a few minutes, and no one on deck dared interrupted. They couldn't imagine what they would do if one of their own went missing and then they found them in Luffy's condition. They understood, and they would let the two have all the time in the world.

Eventually, they let go, smiling at each other, and Shank's tilted his head towards Ace and Sabo with a large grin.

"So, kid, these your brothers?" He asked cheekily, ruffling the kids hair as he pulled the straw hat back up on his head.

Luffy jumped up and down and ran towards them, pulling them closer.

"Yeah yeah!! This is Ace, and this is Sabo!!" Luffy shone excitedly.

Ace was glowering at him, arms crossed, while Sabo nodded at him politely, if a little bashful.

Shank's smiled at Sabo, and then immediately turned to flick Ace in the forehead.

Ace sputtered while raising a hand to the "injured" spot, Sabo and Luffy giggling at the surprised raven.

"What was that for!?" Ace shouted, eyebrows rumpled.

Shanks laughed, "Sorry kid, had no choice. You was giving me a nasty glare," his eyes softened a little as he put a hand on Ace's shoulder, "Thanks for taking care of Luffy."

Ace was taken aback by the sentiment, and a peach blush spread across his cheeks as he avoided eye contact.

"Yeah well, I'm his brother, what of it."

Luffy chose this moment to leap forward and hug Ace, toppling them both to the ground.

Sabo shook his head playfully from where he stood, turning to the older pirate.

Soliloquy of the Broken SoulOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara