Code Shark

The pain is excruciating - yet I still have to play hockey. I'm not in the mood for anyone's bullshit. I'm starving but feel like I'm gonna throw up last night's dinner. I feel like shit and I'm about to make it everyone's problem.

"Move!" I shove past Luis and Guy to get to my space in the locker room.

"She's loco." I hear Luis say.

"What the hell got into her?" Russ asks since he witnessed it all.

"It's shark week, man. Just leave her alone." At least Fulton has my back.

"It can't be that bad." Luis scoffs. This bitch.

"What the fuck, Luis?" Connie hisses.

"You gotta be kidding me." Julie rolls her eyes in annoyance.

"Uh-oh." Ken says as I storm over to Luis.

Like I said, I'm not in the mood for anyone's bullshit. So, I march over to him and, without hesitation, I kick him in the crotch. Immediately, he falls to his knees, groaning in pain. All the guys cringe as if they could feel his pain.

"Get a grip, Luis. It can't be that bad!" I bite.

Just then, Coach Orion walks in. Seeing Luis cowering over in pain, he asks what the hell is going on. Charlie and Averman give him scared looks and frantically shake their heads. Orion catches on very quickly and helps Luis up before rushing everyone onto the ice.

During the scrimmage, I turn the pain into rage. I check everyone in my way with incredible force. Luis, Banks, Dwayne, Averman and even Fulton hit the ground because of me. As my team chase the puck into the oppositions defensive zone, I hang back in our defensive zone, feeling that something isn't right.

Just as I think it's gone, the sneak attack sneeze comes to ruin my day. I freeze in place - feels like I've been hit by a train. Everyone is so caught up in the game that they don't seem to realise. I take it upon myself to head to the box. That alone somehow makes me out of breath. I cling onto the bucket that is kept there (Coach has always made sure there's a bucket since the Julie/Goldberg incident). Shortly after, Orion skates over as the scrimmage continues.

"What's the matter?" He asks, genuinely caring.

"The fact that a sneeze is the equivalent of being hit by a train." I try not to get angry with him.

"Why don't you head back to your dorm and get some rest?" He suggests.

"No, I'll be fine. I just need a few minutes."

"Now's not the time to be stubborn. You're hugging a bucket and in pain. Swallow your pride and go take care of yourself."

I let out a sigh and say, "Thanks, Coach."

As I slowly skate off the ice, Coach calls out, "I'll make sure someone checks on you after practice."

I give him a small nod and a weak smile before turning back to the exit. Behind me, I hear some muttering and comments wanting me to feel better.

Once I'm back in the locker room, I throw my helmet across the room and scream as it hits Averman's bench. Tears instantly start streaming down my face as I sit in my place with my hands covering my face. I feel so pathetic. 1 sneeze and I'm out.

Eventually, I pull myself together before getting changed, sorting myself out and heading back to my room. Finally back in my dorm, I take some painkillers, grab a hot water bottle and climb into bed. Though it helps, it can only do so much. I spend the next few hours slipping in and out of consciousness before a gentle knock wakes me up. Probably someone Orion sent.