Cowboy Roundup

"Yeehaw!"

Everyone frantically skates away at the sound of the cowboy. Instead of waiting for Orion to arrive like normal people, we fall back into some classic Duck hockey. The beloved cowboy roundup. It took a while but Orion has accepted the way of the Ducks so he shouldn't be such a drill sergeant anymore.

"I'm gonna getcha!"

"In your dreams, cowboy!" I smirk as I spin out of his range.

"What's with the fancy moves?" Julie skates to me.

"Ken taught me some basics." I say as I skate over to Ken and give him a high-five.

We've played this game so many times - we've gotten pretty good at it. However, someone has to go out first. Goldberg takes the fall - he's still more of a goalie than a skater in some ways.

"Next time, Goldie." Charlie says as he gets up.

I used to be one of the first out. Luckily, I've improved a lot. The roundup continues and people are dropping like flies. The only people still in the game are me, Charlie, Luis, Connie, Averman and Ken. I narrowly escape Dwayne when I see shenanigans.

"Averman, get outta the goal, you cheater!" I hit the pipes.

Just then, coach comes onto the ice and says, "Nice try, Averman. On the bench." gesturing for him to join everyone who already lost.

"Ah, man." He skates to the bench in shame.

Everyone laughs at him as the game continues. Within a few minutes, Connie and Charlie get caught. That means it's me against the olympian and the flash. I'm screwed. Maybe the underdog will win... Probably not. Everyone starts cheering for who they want to win.

"What? Do y'all not believe in me or something?" I say whilst we're in a timeout.

"I mean, look who you're against." Fulton says.

"Thanks, Fulton. Real sensitive." I roll my eyes.

The girls and Guy start cheering for me instead of Ken. Back in the game, we play dirty. This is war. We're grabbing each other and using each other as shields. Eventually, Kenny gets caught because he messed up his timing.

"Wait, I beat fancy pants?" I'm in shocked.

"Let's go, Y/N!" They start cheering from the bench - even coach.

"I'm impressed." Luis says, seeming genuine.

"Alright, quicksilver, let's do this."

This is it. I've never been so close to victory. I skate as fast as I can, taking in the encouragement from the team. Cowboy comes close to us both multiple times. I don't know how it happened, but Luis is next to me and either of us could go out. As Dwayne throws the lasso, it feels like life is in slow motion. Luis pulls a breakaway and escapes - leaving me to become the cowboy's final victim.

"No!" They all shout in disappointment as I fall to the ground.

"Dammit!" I yell as I get up. "How am I meant to win when I'm against sonic the fucking hedgehog!"

"Language!" Orion scolds as everyone laughs at my outburst.

"Sorry. Let's just practice."

"You'll get it next time." Adam puts an arm around my shoulders.

"Mendoza, go to the box for crushing the underdog spirit." Orion says as he approaches Luis - making us giggle.

"Wait, what?" He protests.

"I'm kidding." He pats his back. "Come on, we need to practice defense."