On an Island in the Sun Part 3

Several sets of eyes watched as the students of the fourth school ate their meal. After the meal ended, one pair retired to discuss what they'd seen.

"Looks like he's open to accepting new students," one of the watchers ventured.

"Looks like we need to find something that'll make us valuable," another agreed, "something that will persuade him to overlook our . . . ah . . ."

"Past indiscretions?"

"Yes, thank you."

"I wouldn't worry overmuch about that," the other voice said cheerfully, "his purebloods should be able to explain how binding magical oaths work."

"True, but knowing something intellectually is quite different from . . ."

"Yes of course . . . so . . . we're competent potion brewers."

"But they don't know that."

"Not after our performance in class anyway."

"What say we brew up something that will showcase our skills?"

"We'll have to know all the steps inside and out in case Granger decides to ask questions."

"True, but neither of us is afraid of a bit of hard work."

"Especially not when the potential rewards are so high."

IIIIIIIIII

Harry was more then a bit surprised with the gargoyle immediately leapt to one side to allow access to the stairs. With a shrug, he made the short trip to Dumbledore's office and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Dumbledore's voice called out. The old man looked up as Harry entered the room. "Thank you for seeing me on such short notice, Headmaster Potter."

"It's the least I could do for a colleague, Headmaster Dumbledore."

"I have a couple books I thought you might like to borrow." The old man handed over two bound volumes. "The first is on dealing with black magic, the second contains useful charms for building your own nation."

Harry thought to himself that he really shouldn't be surprised at how much the Headmaster seemed to know.

"Be sure to give them careful study," Albus advised, "especially the second one. One can only imagine how useful having one's own island can be."

"Quite useful I'd suppose," Harry agreed, "thank you, Headmaster Dumbledore."

"Happy to be of assistance, Headmaster Potter." Dumbledore waved to a porcelain tea set on his desk. "Care to join me for tea?"

"I'd be delighted to," Harry replied.

"Wonderful," Dumbledore said happily, "how do you take it?"

"With a touch of milk," Harry replied.

IIIIIIIIII

In the dungeons, two of Slytherin's finest were considering the information that they'd just purchased.

"We're sure this is accurate?" Tracy whispered.

"We're sure most of it is," Daphne replied, "I've confirmed it through several sources."

"As have I," Tracy agreed, "including . . . including my contact in Gryffindor."

"You have a contact in Gryffindor?"

"Indirectly," Tracy said reluctantly, "through a cousin in Hufflepuff."

"No sense wasting time then."

"Yeah, sooner we make our approach-"

"-the sooner we can get out of this nest of vipers."

"Or get to work digging up dirt to blackmail them into giving us a place."