Chapter 11

Beth’s POV

Somehow time flies really fast. It gives you no warning, it just leaves. There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men, time. But then again the Future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever they do, whoever they are.

So time, is no one’s friend. Not mine. Not His. The more time he spends in a coma the less chance of him waking up, ever.

Bad things happen to good people. That's the way it’s always worked. I wouldn’t blame God though. Bad people are usually very smart, if there not then they can’t be very bad. Can they?

Sometimes when I visited him I would read him a book. I mean I know he probably can’t hear me but if I could hear then I would be insanely bored, and also I'm a book lover so that helps a lot.

I gently touched His hand. He felt so cold so I wrapped my fingers around His hand.

I sat like that for a while reading to him about Genghis Khan, one of my favourite books. When I saw his eyelids flutter. I nearly jumped out of my seat in shock. I looked over to check the monitors but his brain activity hadn’t picked up. He hadn’t woken up.

Since I had been coming so often to visit Him Dr. Longman, who was His doctor, had taught me how to read the machines in the room. I went back to reading while still holding his hand.

I think I must have doses off because I suddenly felt pressure in my hand. I looked up groggily and realised I was still at the hospital.

I looked around trying to see who had touched my hand. When I realised I was still holding His hand.

I must have been imagining it, I thought. I waited to see if it would happen again but nothing did so I closed my eyes for a bit.

I jumped about three feet in the air. His hand just moved again!!

I looked over at the monitors to see the numbers going up faster than I could count.

‘NURSE!’ I shouted as I stared in horror. Was he dyeing? Oh Gods, please no!

The nurse came running into the room took one look at the monitors and ran back out again, only to re-enter seconds later with Dr. Longman and two other nurses.

One of the nurses ripped of his pyjama top that he was wearing, showing of his chiselled chest. Still perfectly formed although he hadn’t moved in ages. I cant believe I was actually thinking about that! He might be dyeing!

The doctor got out the defiblerator. Oh Gods I couldn’t watch. I ran out of the room at a dead sprint.

His POV

I don’t know what was happening. One moment I was fine, her hand in mine. Everything was good. Next I felt fire race up my arm from the hand she was holding. Then my whole body was on fire. I could feel everything. I could hear my heart rate speeding away.

So this is what it feels like to die, I thought sadly.

I could feel the life draining out of me.

When I deeply contemplate the transient nature of human life, I realize that,

from beginning to end, life is impermanent like an illusion. We have not yet

heard of anyone who lived ten thousand years. How fleeting is a lifetime!

Who in this world today can maintain a human form for even a hundred years?

There is no knowing whether I will die first or others, whether death will occur

today or tomorrow. We depart one after another more quickly than the dewdrops on

the roots or the tips of the blades of grasses. So it is said. Hence, we may

have radiant faces in the morning, but by evening we may turn into white ashes.

Once the winds of impermanence have blown, our eyes are instantly closed and our

breath stops forever. Then, our radiant face changes its color, and the

attractive countenance like peach and plum blossoms is lost. Family and

relatives will gather and grieve, but all to no avail?

Since there is nothing else that can be done, they carry the deceased out to the

fields, and then what is left after the body has been cremated and has turned

into the midnight smoke is just white ashes. Words fail to describe the sadness

of it all.

Thus the ephemeral nature of human existence is such that death comes to young

and old alike without discrimination. So we should all quickly take to heart the

matter of the greatest importance of the afterlife, entrust ourselves deeply to

God

Humbly and respectfully.

I closed my eyes.