Chapter 8

My fingers tapped the table in time with the music playing in the background of the café. Every now and then I would glance at the clock, groaning every time it ticked closer to the three. On a normal day, I could be considered impatient. But today, I was on a whole other level. 

My phone buzzed for the fourth time in an hour and as with all the other times I ignored it.

All I wanted was to go back to the compound and prepare for the possibility that Robin was right and those things were coming back. Instead, I was sat on the window seat of a café waiting for a witch that may or may not have something to do with what happened last night.

Sure, I probably could tell my family what I was doing. In fact, I'm sure they had a better plan than mine, but I didn't do that. No, I left the moment I woke up saying I wanted to get some things from town. Not a total lie.

I gulped down part of my third coffee relishing the way it burned down my throat. A piece from my second chocolate muffin followed suit. The caffeine and sugar caused a slight buzz in my system which did nothing for the anxiety building while I waited for Penny to show. Yes, this was a little stalkery. She had taken her lunch break when I arrived and apparently hers are over an hour long.

The sky overhead darkened, and I had to remind myself that we still had a few hours until dark. Still, as I watched a variety of people walk through the bakery's door, there was no Penny. I was growing impatient.

"You know, if you're that desperate for cake, you could just walk in and buy one instead of glaring at the door."

I closed my eyes and released a heavy sigh. "Logan," I greeted through clenched teeth.

He stood a few paces from me, hands in his denim jacket pockets. His taupe hair was curlier today. The messiness making him seem younger almost boyish. He wasn't. He was a nightmare.

With a stupid grin, he plopped himself in the chair across from me, partially blocking my view of the bakery.

"What do I owe this unpleasant visit?" I asked in a monotonous tone.

"Just wanted to see how the little Parsons princess was doing after last night." I bristled at the nickname just as he reached over and took a piece of my muffin. "So, are you going to tell me why you're staking out the bakery instead of helping your pack?"

"I am helping the pack, prick." I took another sip and focused on the warmth of the liquid instead of the infuriating male in front of me. Who was still blocking my view.

"And how are you doing that? Last I checked cakes don't kill the dead." Then he dropped his voice and leaned in. "Are you trying to eat your feelings away?"

I almost whipped the cup at him. Instead, it cracked under the pressure of my fingers. Instead of giving him a reply, I focused back on the bakery just as Penny in her white chef's jacket and high bun went sauntering into the bakery.

Knocking back the remnants of my coffee I grabbed my jacket and left. I didn't make it far outside the café before Logan gripped my elbow to spin me around. He threw me off balance and I had to steady myself with a hand on his chest. His very hard chest.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled.

"What are you?" he fired back. "Why are you after that woman?"

"It's not your concern." He lifted his thick eyebrow. Knowing he wasn't going to let this go and I only had a limited window, I dragged him into a little alleyway.

"She's a witch," I said.

His eyes widened. "Are you sure?" I nodded.

"Her and another one of her co-workers were wearing those necklaces that represent their familiars. I sensed their magic when I stopped by to pick up the cakes yesterday."

"Why didn't you say anything when you found out or this morning at the meeting?"

"It honestly slipped my mind, and I didn't remember it until I woke up." He gave me a look. Not entirely true but it was all he was getting.

He was silent. Then he asked, "Do you think either one is powerful enough to do something like this?"

I thought on it for a moment and remembered the power that radiated off Penny when I met her. "Penny, the one that we just saw, was practically radiating with power when I met her. She could have done it."

"And what if you're wrong and she had nothing to do with what happened?" I rolled my eyes. But Logan grabbed my arm and forced me to look at him. "I'm serious Pierce. Witches are extremely sensitive about this stuff. You accuse her of being a necromancer without proof and this could end even worse for you, or our packs."

This close to him I could see the specks of gold in his eyes and how his pupils dilated every now and then. I hated it.

Pulling away from him I replied, "I'm well aware of the risk of pissing off a witch. But right now, this is our only option. Now you can either stay here with your tail tucked between your legs or you can help me deal with the witch. Which will it be, kitty?"

Logan snarled. He hated the name more than I hated being called princess. I loved it.

He thought about my offer and then cursed under his breath. I grinned as he stepped to the side allowing me past. Falling a step behind me we made our way to the bakery.