Chapter 28: Comfort

"Okay, so where do we start?"

"Look at the device, idiot."

Shadow and I had been searching for the chaos emerald for hours now. I was getting very annoyed with him and I assume he was as well. He was just so rude, and even though we had our moments...it felt like they never happened.

"Right...Tail's thingy says there's one 30 miles from here." It would've been good news, but the device had also said that about 3 times already and my feet were exhausted. I was one step away from asking Shadow to carry me but that would've just been awkward.

"Hmph. That things useless. It said that already, and look where we are." Shadow argued.

"True, but this is the closest thing we got." I blinked, awaiting for Shadow to say something. Instead, he just sighed and continued walking.

"Maybe we should just go back to the shack, Y/N. We can find the answers tomorrow." Shadow crossed his arms as he stared into the night sky, worry written all over his face.

"But it's so close! We can't give up yet!" I whined.

"There will be other opportunities, Y/N." Shadow replied sternly, but in a calming manner. It always confused me how he was able to do that.

"Shadow-I can't. I can't go back without information. That'd be so disappointing for the others.." I really didn't want to upset them again. They were already so worked up about my powers and I felt hopeless. I needed to return the favor to them, or at least give them a reason to believe in me.

"No one's going to be upset, Y/N. You've done enough." Shadow looked at me, with concern, as he placed his gloved hand on my shoulder.

"No...I really haven't." I mumbled as guilt washed over me.

"Y/N..." Shadow sighed. I could already feel a huge lecture coming from him.

"Listen, I know the others expect a lot from you, but there's no pressure. Powers or not, we always win. Hell, no one can stop the Ultimate Lifeform!" Shadow perked up and puffed his chest out, confidently. The sudden relief from tension left me in giggles as I watched him.

"Yeah cause no one can stop, 'The Ultimate Lifeform'." I chuckled, being somewhat serious. Shadow smirked as he seemed pleased with my reaction.

"Let's try this again tomorrow." Shadow stated. I hesitated but nodded my head. With this, Shadow grabbed my wrist and pulled me into him. I blushed for some odd reason, but let him do so.

"CHAOS CONTROL!"

We appeared back at the shack, now being way past everyone's bedtime. The shack was dead silent and I could only assume everyone went home. I looked at Shadow wondering if he planned on crashing here tonight or not.

"It's late and my chaos emerald won't recharge for another hour. I'll stay here." As if reading my mind, Shadow spoke.

"Okay. I call the couch!" I jumped enthusiastically onto the green cushions. I didn't want to intrude on Shadow. Besides, the room I had been occupying was his! I wasn't just going to take it!

"Nope. I'll take the couch. It's not going to be comfortable for you." Shadow pulled me off and replaced my spot, I huffed. I didn't like being told what to do.

"Well, won't you be uncomfortable too?" I raised a brow, in amusement as I knew I was right.

"Better me than you."

Shadow turned to face the other direction and shut his eyes. I growled as he attempted to end our little argument.

"Hey! I called dibs on the couch already!"

"..."

"Shadow!"

"..."

"I know you aren't asleep."

"Goodnight, Y/N." Shadow spoke calmly. I rolled my eyes before finally giving in and trodding up the stairs. He had won the battle, but not the war.

As I laid down in 'my' bed, I came to think about a few things...Shadow has a son, I somehow am used to these animal freaks, and for some reason I find myself close to the meanest one!

I didn't really understand myself. Why had Shadow and I become so close? It was like on the outside, we were our usual selves and detached, with our occasional moments...but on the inside...

I felt something stronger.

I couldn't pin this feeling, but I certainly hoped it wasn't me catching feelings for Mr. Emo. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with those feelings...he was a hedgehog. Besides, he has a kid in the future! It's obvious he just marries another animal anyway.

I shut my eyes tightly as I snuggled further into the red blanket. I finally found some internal peace as I was greeted by my darkness and my imagination.

~

It was still pitch black out when I heard the door of my room creek open. But I was too tired to really do anything about it. I just assumed it was Sonic checking on me or something, since we got home really late, but why would he do it in the middle of the night?

I disregarded my thoughts when this figure picked up the blanket and laid down beside me. I gulped, but didn't say a word. It must've been Shadow. But why was he here? I already offered the bed! Why didn't he accept?

This was what I was trying to avoid! I didn't want to snuggle with him, I didn't want to get any of those feelings! Especially not for...him. The edgy, loner, emo hedgehog! Why?! Why does fate always do this?!

"Hope she doesn't mind..." I heard his husky voice mumble. I held my eyes shut as I tried to pick up on his soft murmurs.

"The couch wasn't bad...I just wanted your company..." As if Shadow was talking to me, he placed his hand on my hair and gently pulled it away from my face. I remained still as I continued to snoop, at what I obviously wasn't supposed to hear.

"What is this feeling?" Shadow muttered. I didn't really understand but I stayed still.

"It's tingly...I should go to bed, sleep well, Y/N..."

Shadow snuggled further into the comforter, and I nearly gasped as I felt hands move around my waist. Suddenly, I was pulled in closer to his fluffy chest and my head was snuggling on his chest fur. Shadow wrapped his legs around mine as he cuddled me like a teddy bear.

I hate to say it, but I couldn't help but enjoy his grasp. It was...comforting. I slowly nuzzled into his fur, trying my best to act asleep.

But my breathing hitched when I heard...

Purrs?