Chapter 27: My Mission

The ballroom party was last night, but I was still reminiscing on it. I didn't really understand Shadow's gesture. Was the kiss platonic? Or did he mean something more? With these thoughts, I went downstairs for breakfast and everyone seemed normal.

"Mornin, Y/N!" Sonic chirped.

"Good morning. What are we going to do today?" I asked, eagerly.

"Nothing. We're just going to take a rest day. My heels are killing me from those shoes!" Rogue whined. Knuckles chuckled and the two went into their usual bickering. I turned away and grabbed my breakfast. Rest day? I guess I could take this time to explore Mobias. Although, I feel like I've already done that. Who knows, I'll think of something.

I grabbed my plate and sat down at the table. Everyone was engaging in conversation except Shadow and I. I sat across from him but I didn't say anything, I just tried listening to the others. That was until, I felt a tap on my foot.

I looked up and noticed it was Shadow trying to get my attention. I raised a brow as I awaited for him to say something.

"What are you going to do today?" He asked calmly. I would've assumed he wanted something more...urgent? I never really conversed with him like this much. I was usually the one to start the conversation.

"I honestly don't know. I haven't really gotten a day off here...what about you?" That brought an idea in my mind. Maybe G.U.N could take me back and I could go on a mission! I had been getting pretty bored at the house anyway.

"Me either. I don't really take days off." Shadow mumbled. He still seemed pretty ticked off about the G.U.N suspension so I didn't mention it any further, instead, another idea came to mind.

"Well, do you think we could try and figure out why the chaos emeralds wanted me here?" As I said that, Shadow nearly choked on his food. His eyes widened and the whole table turned at me in disbelief.

"What?"

"We already know why-"

"Shut it, bat." Shadow quickly silenced Rogue. I was as confused as ever. It seemed like they knew more than they let on.

"What are you guys talking about?" I interjected.

"Nothing, hun. It's something you have to figure out on your own." She sighed as she turned to face her beloved boyfriend again. They all went back into their conversations as I glanced back at Shadow.

"Shadow, why can't you guys tell me?"

"Its confusing but if we tell you too soon, it could ruin the future." Shadow sighed. I really didn't believe that this would impact the future that badly. It's not like I've done anything major to Mobias...yet.

"Am I able to look for the answers myself?" Shadow contemplated this, as he seemed like he didn't really know the answer himself.

"I suppose. I don't see how that could harm the future." I smiled.

"Great! Now, where can I find my answers!" I stood up, cheerfully, as the whole table stared at me again.

"Woah, hold your horses, Y/N. It's not that simple." Sonic placed his hand on my shoulder. Earning a growl from Shadow.

"Then explain it to me." I commanded.

"The chaos emeralds are spread out, and the only way to get the answers you want, is by finding their locations." Knuckles explained. I mean, that seemed easy enough. Just like a G.U.N mission. Besides, didn't we already have four of them?

"I don't understand why that's so hard. We already have half of them." I shrugged as Sonic finally let go of my shoulder.

"The ones we have won't give you, your answer." Shadow chimed in.

"Why not?"

"Because the chaos emeralds can only be used at your service once, and most of them were used to bring you here." I groaned lowly. I would now only have limited questions, because they used too much chaos emeralds to bring me here!

"Okay. Where can I find the other three?"

"Tails has a tracker, do ya mind letting Y/N borrow it, buddy?" Sonic glanced over at his two-tailed friend.

"Sure! I'll grab it right now." Tails cheered. He zipped by the group and I began to think he was more excited about someone using his invention rather than my mission.

"I'm coming too." Shadow arose from the chair. The others looked back at him, some shocked and some with teasing looks.

"Don't you think I should go alone if it's about me?"

"Maybe so. But it could be dangerous, and you don't have control of your powers yet." Shadow replied. He was more stubborn than I, so I knew there was no way out of this. I finally nodded my head in agreement and turned back to my friends.

"Alright, Shadow will go with Y/N. But please use the communicator if you need backup." Rogue handed me a watch and clipped it onto my wrist. I smiled at her in appreciation as she still held her usual sly grin.

"I'm back! Here, this will help track down where the other chaos emeralds are. The closest one is in Lilack's cave. But be careful, Eggman likes to snoop around over there." Tails handed me a device similar to a phone.

"I will. Are you ready to leave now, Shadow?" I glanced back over at my partner. He nodded his head and I put my plate in the sink.

"Okay. We'll be back soon, everyone!" I waved the others goodbye as they all wished me well in their own ways. Shadow walked out beside me as he pulled out a chaos emerald.

"Hold on." I knew what he was getting at, so I reached for his hand and held it. But what felt strange was that Shadow took slightly longer than usual to chaos control us. He seemed rather dazed once I grabbed his hand.

I soon regretted my actions. But we had done this before...he grabbed my hand doing this with Rogue! What was so different now? I looked back up at him and I saw he looked a little flustered, with a tint of pink across his muzzle. Oh.

"CHAOS CONTROL!"