Chapter 22: Maria

"I really must go! I've already said too much!" Silver broke free from Shadow's grasp, and opened a portal.

"W-wait!" Shadow called out. But it was already too late. Silver stepped into the portal and shut it behind him. Leaving a very confused group.

"So, who's the lucky lady, Shadow?" Rogue playfully spoke. Shadow's eyes widened as he cleared his throat.

"S-shut it, bat." He tried to cover his uncomfortableness. But we could all see how anxious Shadow looked. He didn't even dare make eye contact with me.

"How the heck does Shadow have a kid?!"

.

.

.

The whole day everyone had been trying to solve the mystery. But Shadow was way too flustered to hear it and chaos controlled as soon as Rogue made suggestions.

"It's gotta be, Y/N." I overheard in the kitchen. I let out a low gasp, as I hid behind the staircase.

"What? Why would you think that?" Knuckles snorted.

"C'mon, you don't see it? It's so obvious Shadow likes Y/N!"

"I don't think Shadow could like anything, bat." I would've broke into a fit of laughter if I wasn't trying to hide right now.

"Whatever, Knuxy. We can discuss this more on our date tonight~." The gang laughed, and so did I.

"DAMN IT, ROGUE!" I giggled before I snuck out the back door and went outside.

I was sitting on the sand again. The beach was actually right across the street from the shack so I would often come here every night.

As I was left deep in my thoughts, I kept thinking about what Rogue said. Did Shadow really like me? I thought he hated my guts! I could've sworn I saw a dark figure in the distance. I opened my eyes and I saw Shadow standing by the water. He seemed to be in a trance so I laid back down and shut my eyes again. I didn't want to disturb him.

"What are you doing here?" I flinched at the sudden dialogue. Did he see me looking at him? I sat up and saw Shadow looking down at me. He didn't seem upset but rather surprised.

"I had to get out of the shack. Rogue's driving us crazy." I smirked, remembering her teasing Knuckles. Shadow had a slight grin on his face as he sat down next to me.

"How are you feeling?" I glanced back at him. It must've been a lot to take in. I mean, he just found out one of his friends is his future son! That must've been really weird.

"A little disturbed." Shadow chuckled. I did the same. It felt nice to be getting along with, Mr. Emo for once.

"Yeah, I would be too." I sighed, facing back to the ocean.

"You remind me of someone." He caught me a little off guard but when I turned to face him he looked almost...sad?

"Who?"

"She was like a sister to me. Her name was Maria. I think you two would've been good friends." I felt my heart drop when he said, would've...Now I just felt guilty for always making fun of Shadow.

"Shadow...what happened to her?" I cringed at the question. Was I overbearing? He stayed silent for a little so I knew he didn't want to answer. "I'm sorry, I-"

"No, it's probably time I tell you..." Shadow sighed. "Maria was Eggman's granddaughter. I was created on the Space Colony ARK to help her with her illness. I was meant to cure her. We became best friends over time but one day G.U.N invaded the ARK and tried to hurt us. I was trying to save Maria but she shoved me inside a tube and sent me down to earth. She was killed right in front of me..." Oh my god. I felt awful. I can't believe I was so mean to Shadow! I wanted to apologize profusely, but instead the only thing that came out were tears.

"I'm so sorry, Shadow. She seemed like a lovely girl..." I choked on my own sobs. Shadow looked hurt himself and I could see his eyes watering.

"She was..." Before I could respond, Shadow engulfed me in a hug. I knew this was a very emotional time for him so I didn't hesitate to hug back. I felt water running down my back, and I knew Shadow was crying onto my shoulder.

We remained silent for the next few minutes. Both of us were trying to control our tears. I can't even imagine how Shadow felt. I didn't even know her and I'm still crying! After about 10 minutes, I pulled away from Shadow and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Shadow, I'm glad you told me. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on I'm here." Shadow looked up from the sand and his tears dried. For once, I saw a genuine smile on his face as he stared into my E/C orbs.

"Thank you, Y/N. The same goes for you." I smiled I'm return. Shadow and I went in for another hug but I flinched when I heard my name.

"Y/N!" Amy yelled. Shadow and I quickly backed away from each other and turned to face the pink hedgehog.

Thankfully, she didn't seem to notice our predicament as she swiftly walked over to us and smiled. Shadow and I turned to face her as our heartfelt moment had ended.

"Y/N, what are you doing over here? The others are looking for you..." Amy paused. "Shadow? What are you doing here...with Y/N?" Busted. Shadow and I looked at each other before he cleared his throat.

"I was heading to the shack and stumbled into,
Y/N. I was about to bring her back, Rose." Damn, he was a good liar. I nodded in agreement as I faced the perplexed hedgehog.

"Alright, well, G.U.N called. They said they have another mission for you, Shadow, and Rogue, tomorrow." G.U.N...why would Shadow work for them after they killed his friend? That was something I would have to ask him later since we were in the presence of Pinky.

Sighing, I stood up and followed Amy. Shadow walked right beside me as we exchanged occasional glances on the way.

The shack was a complete shit show when we walked in.