𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

warning: there are mentions of sexual assault and a suicide attempt

Because his father had died even before he was born, Harry's mother Heidi became a single mother and she struggled a lot to earn money and take care of him all alone. But she managed to do it all and every day he felt cared, loved, appreciated.

It took her about eight years but eventually, she started to date again. As a child, he was introduced to dozens of different men of most couldn't care less about him. Only as a teenager did he understand that they weren't exactly looking for a family but something else from his mother.

And then she met Gary Seaward. As a young boy who had seen this too many times to count, he hadn't paid much attention to him even after she had continued dating him longer than others.

Then he had noticed that Gary was, in fact, quite nice. Funny even. He had made his mother laugh more than he had seen in years and the strange man had even wanted to get to know him. They played games together, he had taught him how to cook and gave him the speech about girls and protection.

Then they had started to spend more time together, the three of them and not just adults. As the time went by and one year turned to two, he had even started to think about him as part of their family. Almost like a father that he never had but what he had wanted for so long. A father who he trusted.

Then Gary had came into his bedroom in the middle of the night and ruined him for the rest of his life.

Because he was only thirteen, he didn't know what to do and who to tell or if it was safe to tell anyone. After learning what he could do to him, Harry had worried that Gary would hurt his mother too.

Back then, all he had thought was that he had completely ruined their family. He must have done something wrong, it's not like Gary would hurt him if he was innocent...

It took him over a year to get enough courage to tell his mother about that night. He had been scared, so so scared about the monster she had married but he couldn't take it anymore. He had needed his mother to make it better, to leave Gary and help her son.

"You are lying! He would never do that, he loves you! Stop playing around and help me with the dishes."

"My husband is not rapist! I don't want to hear a word from you anymore!"

"You were just having a nightmare."

Those are the words he could never forget as well as Gary's loud moaning while he assaulted him in the middle of the night, knowing that there was no one to hear. And Harry had just accepted it all while fearing for life.

Because his own mother hadn't believed him, he never mentioned that night again and just pretended that it didn't happen. Just like Gary did.

Only after meeting Alex in high school and seeing that he had also gone through some things did he speak of what happened. The strange boy who was the closest thing to a friend he had had in years had looked at him in the eyes and promised to kill the man if he ever had a chance.

Gary Seaward might have died many years ago but he was still here with him every second, every minute, every hour hunting him. He would never truly be free of him.

🌷🌷🌷

"I can do this. I can do this. I can do this," Harry repeated to himself before ringing the doorbell with shaking hands. Looking back, he noticed that Alex was still there in the car and he didn't look like he was in hurry to leave when he got a better position in the seat and gave him a thumbs up and an encouraging smile.