[10] the truth

[10] THE TRUTH

All eyes were on Lydia as she expertly mixed chemical after chemical, the liquid changing colors and consistency. Jackson was passing her bottles, a bored expression on his face. Elise couldn't believe his whole 'not-caring-about-anything' persona was real, deep down he must have been scared right now.

Stiles was getting fidgety, his foot tapping on the floor like he couldn't keep still.

⠀⠀"Hey, you okay? Actually, stupid question." She muttered.

⠀⠀"It'll be fine," Stiles said, a generic lie she didn't believe. "We'll be out soon." his fingers brushed against hers, as if he was tempted to hold her hand again, but was unsure of what her response would be. Just as Elise was about to take his fingers in hers, Lydia finished up with the self-igniting Molotov cocktail.

⠀⠀"No. No, this is insane, you can't do this! You cannot go out there." Allison cried, beating a fist against Scott's chest.

⠀⠀"We can't just sit here waiting for Stiles' dad to check his messages." Scott said, taking her hand.

⠀⠀"Y-you could die. Don't you get that? He's killed three people."

⠀⠀"And we're next. Somebody has to do something."

⠀⠀Allison stood defensively in front of the door. "Scott, just stop." she pleaded. "Do you remember-do you remember when you told me knew whether I was lying or not. That I had a tell. Well, so do you. You're a horrible liar, and you've been lying all night. Just-just, please don't go. Please don't leave us. Please."

Everyone in the room knew that although what Allison was saying was true, it wouldn't stop Scott leaving. He walked forward and kissed her, wrapping his arm around her waist for a brief moment.

⠀⠀When he pulled apart from her all he said was "Lock it behind me." then he was gone.

⠀⠀"I don't get this. I don't get why he's out there, and why he left us. And i can't-i can't stop my hands from shaking." she said with shaky breath.

Elise was just about to hug Allison when Jackson stepped in and took her hand in his.

⠀⠀"It's okay. It's okay, it's gonna be okay." he said promised soothingly.

⠀⠀Quickly, Elise shuffled over to Stiles. "You're seeing this right?" she asked only within his earshot.

⠀⠀"Yep," Stiles said, frowning. "A little too well."

Lydia was sitting on a table opposite Jackson and Allison and Elise could tell she was trying to look unfazed by Jackson's sudden show of affection.

⠀⠀"Jackson," she frowned, "you handed me the sulfuric acid right? It has to be sulfuric acid. It won't ignite if it's not."

⠀⠀"I gave you exactly what you asked for." he answered shortly.

⠀⠀Lydia nodded absently, "Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure you did."

But Elise's eyes followed Lydia's gaze, which lay upon the barely touched bottle of sulfuric acid on the desk.

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

⠀⠀"Eye spy, with my little eye, something beginning with... B."

⠀⠀"Blackboard."

⠀⠀"Damnit, Stilinski, you're good at this." Elise huffed, folding her arms.

⠀⠀"Or, it could be that we've been playing this for so long now, that your words are getting repetitive." Stiles grinned.

Lydia was sitting alone still, reading a textbook she'd found. Allison and Jackson were talking in a low tone to each other, Allison smiling occasionally.

⠀⠀"Alright, I can't stand watching them any longer!" Elise hissed at Stiles, jumping off of the desk they were sitting on and starting towards the pair. Just as she reached them, a loud rumbling noise made them all jump. Next thing they knew, Jackson had collapsed onto the floor, clutching his neck and screaming.

Everyone ran towards him, panicking at his sudden freak out.

⠀⠀"Jackson?" Lydia cried, placing a hand on his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

His agonized screams bounced off the walls of the empty classroom as he writhed in agony.

Then suddenly, it was over.

⠀⠀"I'm fine," he groaned, trying to stand up, having to lean on Allison. "Seriously, I'm okay."

⠀⠀"That was far from okay." Elise frowned, hands on her hips.

⠀⠀Stiles leaned forward, staring at Jackson's neck intently. "What's on the back of your neck?"

Jackson pushed Stiles away and clamped a hand over his neck before Elise could get a look.

⠀⠀"It's been there for days," Lydia informed, "he won't tell me what happened."

⠀⠀"As if you actually care." snapped Jackson suddenly, causing Lydia to step back defensively, staring at the floor.

⠀⠀"Hey, ease up, asshole!" Elise snarled. "If you haven't noticed, people actually care about your well being. Which is more than you deserve.

Stiles sighed exasperatedly and stepped forward before Elise could verbally attack Jackson anymore

⠀⠀"Can we not argue for one second here?"

⠀⠀"Where's Scott?" Allison asked, looking at the clock. "He should be back by now."

⠀⠀"I'm sure he's on his way." Elise assured.

An awkward silence settled on them all as they anxiously awaited Scott's return. Elise could hear Stiles' fingers drumming against a desk agitatedly.

⠀⠀"Look, maybe-" Elise started to suggest someone go look for Scott, when they heard a noise outside the door and saw a shadow. It sounded like someone was trying to unlock the door.

⠀⠀Allison stumbled towards the door, "Scott! Scott!" she cried, but the figure had disappeared.

⠀⠀"Where's he going?" Lydia asked, turning to Stiles.

Allison continued calling for Scott and trying to open the door, but it wouldn't budge.

⠀⠀"Wait, stop. Stop! Do you hear that?" Lydia raised a finger, signaling for them all to be quiet and listen.

Voices, they could hear voices - lots of voices. Suddenly the door was busted open, and a figure in a police uniform barged in with his gun raised.

⠀⠀"Dad!" Stiles sighed, relieved.

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

Elise sat in the backseat of her dad's car, the door open and a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. Finally, it was over. She watched from a distance as Stiles conversed with Scott and the Sheriff about what had happened.

What had happened? Elise was almost certain that Stiles and Scott were bullshitting the entire time, that couldn't have been a man, and she didn't even know who Derek Hale was. The figure she'd seen fall from the ceiling was so... Animal-like. But what kind of animal would actively track them down with such intelligence? And could've sent a text?

Her brain ached from all the questions swimming around inside her head, and when she saw Stiles head her way she hoped he'd enlighten her.

⠀⠀"Hey," he sighed, shoving his hands in his trouser pockets nonchalantly.

⠀⠀"Stiles, I don't believe that was Derek Hale. Hell, I don't believe that was even a man." she said bluntly, running a hand through her hair out of stress.

Stiles stayed silent for a moment, his lips pursed in thought.

⠀⠀"I-I don't know, maybe it was an animal-"

⠀⠀"Bullshit." she laughed harshly. "You know exactly what it was," now she was standing up, squaring in on Stiles. "You and Scott both know what happened and you won't tell anyone else!" by the point she was digging her finger into his chest, backing him up against a nearby car.

He stammered for words, searching her eyes pleadingly.

⠀⠀"Please, tell me the truth." she said, softening, her hand falling from his chest and backing away. "You owe it to me, I mean; it was obviously something, or someone, awful. God knows how many times you held my hand and how many times I felt like you were protecting me."

⠀⠀"You wouldn't believe me." he said in a quiet tone.

⠀⠀"You don't know that."

✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀ ✦ ⠀

based off of 1x07 "night school"

this story is mainly dialogue and idk if that's bad or good ????? feedback would be appreciated

love u chicken nuggets