Chapter 17

It was one of those missions. The ones where late is almost underrated. The door to the Xiao Long residence opened and Summer, being helped by Fives, went inside. "Ah you're recklessness could've gotten yourself killed," Fives sighed, removing his helmet and turning on the lights. "Eh! You'd have done the same!," Summer replied. "Sounds like an interesting story," a voice interrupted the two. "Eh! R...Raven!," Summer chuckled. "You should be on bedrest," Fives reminded. "And you should keep out of this," Raven glared at him. "Raven! Stop!," Summer growled before wincing in pain. "Easy. I've relocated the joint but it's only been an hour," Fives laid her on the couch. "Thank you, Fives," Summer replied. "This wouldn't have happened if you stopped going on these missions," Raven sighed and went outside. Summer sighed and tried to sit up. "I'll talk to her," Fives reassured. He sighed and went outside. He could see Raven sitting on a bench outside. Raven was about to smoke when Fives took the cigarette outside and smushed it on the wooden floor with his boot. "You gonna tell me what's up?," Raven asked.

"Yeah. I know you're worried for Summer but to be this arrogant to scold her for doing her duty as a huntress?," Fives glared. "Ugh! Excuse me for being worrisome about our team leader! Our leader has been going off on missions that Ozpin's been hiding from us. Don't you think that we should know?!," Raven asked. "So this is about trust issues?," Fives asked. "What? No! But what is so important that our team leader has to keep a secret about?!," Raven growled. "What you should be worried about is your priorities," Fives looked at Raven dead in the eyes. "Excuse you!," Raven interrupted. "What? You didn't think we knew about your detours to Mistral? To camp?," Fives asked. "Doesn't matter. I know my priorities," Raven looks away. "And what are they?," Fives sat next to her. "So I'm wrong to have different priorities? And why is it any of your business what my priorities are?," Raven glares. Fives looked at his helmet. The visor showing his reflection. "Because your reflection of who you were is about to become your real face," Fives continued. "That's ironic coming from you," Raven replied.

"......You know as much as I do what after I came here. I chose to live this quiet life. Not because of who I was. But because I was lied about it. I want to put myself to good use. Adapt and survive," Fives reminded. "So what is any different about me?," Raven asked. "They were killers and thieves. And you want to be them," Fives replied. "They were my family," Raven growled at Fives's comment. "You have a very tunneled vision of the term family. Raven frowns at Fives. "So that begs the question. Do you know what your priorities are?," Fives asked again. Raven tried speaking but no words came out. Her frown turned into somewhat of a distressed look before taking Fives's helmet to look at her reflection. She was Raven Brawnwen. She was a member of the tribe but also a wife and soon to be mother. She'd only intended to attend Beacon Academy with her younger twin brother with the intention to learn how to kill huntsmen and huntresses. She had killed in the past but the growing numbers proved to be a problem. Raven didn't intend to become a mother let alone form any attachments. Raven handed Fives his helmet back before standing up and leaving to go inside the house. She stopped short of the doorway. "I......I don't know. All I know is to survive," Raven sighed. " Don't confuse that as some sort of justifiable cause. It's like you save your daughter once and you believe that's sufficient enough to make up for you not being there to raise her," Fives stood up from the bench. "Come on Fives. Done with beating Qrow," Ahsoka walks past Raven, not taking notice that Raven was shedding a tear.

As the two were getting settled in to their home, Fives sat down on the couch, resting his chin on his hands. which looked like he was cracking his knuckles. "Hey," Ahsoka pats him on the shoulder. "Everything alright?," Ahsoka pulled up a chair and sat next to him. "You....you're aware of Raven being pregnant well into the 9 month right?," Fives asked. "Yeah. What about?," Ahsoka asked. " I don't like to assume. But Raven doesn't seem to believe her commitment to Tai is her main priority," Fives replied. "What do you mean?," Ahsoka asked. "Raven wants to go back to her tribe," Fives sighed. "Fives....it's not up to us to force change," Ahsoka continued. "So we should let Raven choose? And if she chose to leave for her tribe?," Fives asked. "Sometimes we need to fall before we can get back up," Ahsoka sighed.

"Speaking of priority, when do you plan on leaving?," Fives asked. "Excuse me?," Ahsoka asked. "I know you've been speaking to Bail Organa, requesting you join the fight," Fives sighed. "Yes. We've been speaking," Ahsoka nodded. "Like it or not. The Jedi's duty is to protect," Ahsoka replied. "You're not a Jedi," Fives joked. "Very funny," Ahsoka rolls her eyes. "I don't want you to go but I can't force you to stay," Fives sighed. "It's hard for me too. The time we spent here was amazing but I have to. It's what.....it's what Anakin would've done," Ahsoka replied. "I know. I just.....I'm a free man now. No longer a slave," Fives sighed. "I know. I understand that you don't wanna go back," Ahsoka nods, smiling. "And also...," Fives began. "Yes?," Ahsoka asked. "I uh....it's about my growth acceleration. I plan on going to Ozpin and having me somehow stop my growth from acceleration," Fives sighed. "You're 10 right?," Ahsoka asked. "Yes. It makes me 20 years old,"Fives replied. "You sure?," Ahsoka asked.

"Ahsoka, right now I'm older by half and it's climbing in doubles. Which means my life is cut in half. I'm approaching death at half the rate of a normal person's growth. I can't live like that," Fives replied. "How will you know it'll work? Or if there's even a cure?," Ahsoka asked. "I have to try at the least," Fives continued. Ahsoka nods and hugs him.