Chapter 23 - Flying

Start from the beginning

   Soldiers tripped over themselves in their haste to flee. Officers barked orders to remain, but most chose to abandon their duties in favor of sparing their lives. At the sight of them running for the hills, Darrel cheered.

   But the Commander was still down there. He watched his summoned monsters turn to ash with one fell swoop. He watched Alie bring her beast swirling across the meadow, building speed and air. He lifted his crystal blade, angling it to a young man forced to his knees before him. The two soldiers beside him held the young man by his shoulders and hair. They held swords to both his chest and his back, pinning him in place. 

   Alie's heart leapt up into her throat. Michael's name tore from her lungs, a desperate cry. 

   The blade lifted high. 

   Alie's vision turned white. 

-----

The dragon was a surprise. 

   Of all the things Michael had expected Alie to imagine – shields, weapons, endless walls of flame – he'd never expected a living, breathing dragon. When the Commander had shot the paper one with a ball of dark flame, he'd thought the fight was over. But Alie had surprised them all by transforming the puppet into a real live beast. 

   His heart nearly stopped when the Commander sent those towering human-shaped Evil after her. And he'd cheered when she took to the air, leaving the Evil screaming in frustration after her. 

   Even if she had to leave him behind. 

   He didn't struggle when the Commander came for him. He didn't cry out when one of the soldiers punched him in the face, or when they kicked him to his knees. He didn't lift his head or wipe away the blood dripping from his nose as the crystal sword lifted high, ready to strike him dead. 

   His name on Alie's lips made him cringe. If he was going to die, he wished she at least wouldn't be around to witness it. He willed her to turn away, to fly to freedom. She'd be better off that way. 

   The crystal sword sparkled in the morning sunshine. It looked sharp; at least his death would be quick. 

   A flash of blinding light made him flinch. And then, out of nowhere, Alie stood before him, the Ultimate lifted high. The Commander's crystal sword came down on that powerful weapon instead of slicing his head from his shoulders. 

   Magic rippled from Alie like water. It crackled over her skin, sparkling with radiant life. She panted under its power, her arms and legs trembling. But she held her position, gritting her teeth against the pressure of the Commander boring down on her. 

   The Commander's lips pulled back from his teeth in a sneer, the most expressive he'd been since they met. His voice came out in a growl. "You've been holding back."

   Alie's answering grin was terribly wicked. "You're the one who said you wanted things to be interesting."

   Dark power rushed out of the Commander's sword, pressing down on her. But Alie met it with her own power, magic glistening over her like a second skin. The two energies clashed in a shower of sparks. 

   When it became clear he couldn't best her by wills alone, the Commander met the gaze of his soldiers. "Kill him," he directed without emotion. 

   Alie tensed up, the magic on her skin brightening. "NO!"

   The force of magic that rushed out from her knocked Michael over. Both soldiers flew backwards, one of them hitting their head with a sickening thud against the cage. The other tumbled wildly over the paved path, until they landed in the flowers. Neither of them got back up.