Chapter 13

James's PoV

We fought the battle long and hard, and had started overpowering their forces. Quickly and for no reason, they just retreated. I wasn't quite sure why they had left so easily, we didn't even suffer many casualties. All of us regrouped in the war room. My father sighed, looking down at the table. "Why did they come? They left so suddenly.. It was a bit odd." I suddenly recalled Eliza was safe in the passageway, so I called over a guard. "Can you please go get Eliza from the secret passageway and tell her it's safe to come out now?" The guard nodded, vanishing into the passages.

We all spoke and debated for awhile, when I heard someone running through the passageway quickly. The guard appeared at the entrance, looking out of breath. "Sir, I think you need to come see this." All of us decided to go see what was going on and we followed the guard through the passage slowly, before coming to a secret exit. Upon opening the exit, I saw General Adams lying unconscious on the ground. I rushed to his side, trying to rouse him. I looked at my father. "Get the guards, and have them take Adams to his quarters, and have him tended to." Awhile later as I watched the guards carry Adams off, I couldn't help but worry. Where was Eliza? Is she okay? Hopefully when General Adams wakes up, he'll be able to answer these questions.

Adams has been unconscious for half a day, I told the nurse to get me if he happens to wake up. I've spent all that time just worrying about Elizabeth, hoping that she is okay. As I stared out the window, the nurse walked in. "He's awake Prince James." She led me to his room, and shut the door behind me when I walked in so that I could speak with him alone. Adams didn't look well, he had bruises all over, and one of his eyes were swollen shut. The good thing was that didn't receive any major wounds. He turned toward me as I walked in, frowning at me. "I assume you're here to talk about what I know, and what happened." Nodding, I sat down in a chair next to his bedside, listening intently. "It was bad. I was patrolling around the castle, when I heard screaming coming from within the walls. I instantly knew it was from the passageway, so I went in and ran into Eliza. She told me that all her guards had been killed, and the killers were looking for her. So I took her to the secret exit in order to get her out of there. As soon as we stepped outside, we were met with pretty much their whole army. Before I could even react they grabbed Eliza, and some of them surrounded me and beat me unconscious. I assume they took her with them, since she's now missing."

I was beyond worried now knowing that they had Eliza in their clutches. I could only imagine what they would do to her. I needed to find her, and fast. "Any clue as to the whereabouts of their land by chance?" Adams shook his head slowly, "No, I've never even heard of them before, well until today that is." I sighed, rubbing my temples slowly. I knew some areas where we could start looking, but who knows how long that would take. Getting up, I muttered a thanks and went and talked to my father. We were going to send scouts out to search for this so called kingdom. I knew it might take awhile but no matter what I wouldn't give up until Eliza was safe in my arms again. Don't worry love, I'm coming for you.

Eliza's PoV

Groaning, I slowly came to my senses. My eyes were heavy, and I slowly opened them, feeling weak. My head was pounding as I sat up, struggling to remember what had happened. I looked around the dimly lit room I was in, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. The room was small with stone brick walls, and a single dungeon looking door. It was made of wood and about standing height was a small opening. Metal bars blocking any chance of escape. Looking down I realized I was laying on the floor, and I slowly stood up using the wall to keep balanced. After gaining some strength back, I decided to inspect the room and see if there was a way I could possibly get out. There was absolutely nothing in the room, aside from dim torches too tall for me to reach. Walking over to the door, I stuck my hand through the bars on the door not even getting my whole hand to fit out. I attempted to tug on the bars, realizing it was hopeless. There was no way I was about to get out of the room anytime soon, unless someone let me out. Sighing I plopped down defeated in the corner, feeling sorry for myself.