la bruja

"when all is said and done,
you'll believe God is a woman."

"The darkness that surrounds us cannot hurt us

cannot hurt us.
It's the darkness in your own heart
you should fear."

E P I G R A P H

— In hell, the devil is God

Lucia Castillo, was your ordinary girl growing up. The quiet Latina always stayed to the side; minding her business but observing those around her. She never knew the difference between being alone and feeling alone. Not until the day her father passed away.

Lucia knew she shouldn't feel bad. He had done things a father nor husband should ever do. He was meant to guide her, love her, protect her. But knowing she wouldn't experience her own blood walking her down the aisle or watching her graduate... that really hurt. He deserved everything he got, but the little girl within her would never agree.

She spent days laying in the comfort of her own bed, trying to ignore the ache in her torso. She spent her fifteenth birthday cuddled in her blankets, staring out the large window next to her bed, watching the drops of rain race each other down the glass. There was something about the sun giving up it's place to leave room for the broken that made her feel alright.

Maybe that's why she was upset everyone thought of rain like a plague. They selfishly wished for a warm and sunny day because they don't tolerate the imperfect

and she was far from it.

Lucia spent days inside of the comfort in her own home. She refused to leave, knowing that the darkness that pooled inside of her would corrupt all those she knew. Her first omen was when she awoke to a snake in her room. After that day, the voices started. The powers inside of her were dark, corrupt, and strong. They were strong enough to take over, strong enough to destroy everything in its path for amusement.

She was already a nobody. Never to be seen. To be alone in her own comfort, her own purity, it made her feel happy.

But it was sad. Depressing. Miserable.

The thought of never being able to share that special bond with someone. She wanted to be loved, to be special, to be someone's person. Why would life matter if she didn't have anybody to share it with?

C A S T

melissa barrera
as
Lucia Castillo