Chapter 2: Revelation

Hinata goes through his regular routine to doll himself up for work. He makes sure his hair is nice and puffy. He applies his scent blockers. He puts on jeans that he knows make his ass look scrumptious and a fitted shirt that hugs his small but toned frame, because hey, tips are tips. He

leaves his apartment to walk to work. When he walks to his shift at the bar, it is still light outside so he's not so worried, but walking home after his shift always makes him nervous. It's scary being an unmated omega out alone at night.

When he arrives at the Wingless Crow, he only sees Daichi behind the bar and a few regulars sitting in their usual seats. No sign of Suga, who Hinata assumes is there somewhere, or the bouncers. Huh. Usually at least Kageyama and Kuroo are here by now.

He goes into the back room to put his jacket in his locker when he sees the two guys he was expecting. Kuroo greets him with a friendly expression and asks how he's been. Hinata responds in a likewise friendly tone. He says hello to Kageyama, as he catches a whiff of pine and fresh rain. Smells so damn good. Kageyama mumbles a soft response, barely makes eye contact, and quickly exits the room. Hinata manages to avoid huffing at the lukewarm greeting. They've worked together for a long time. This guy could at least say a proper hello. And also he could stop smelling so damn good. Shit.

Kageyama is relieved to be away from Hinata's intoxicating honey scent. Whenever the omega is near, Kageyama's brain seems to short circuit and he can't think straight enough to string together a coherent sentence. He's sure Hinata thinks he's being rude or is just a simpleton, but he just can't help it around the cute redhead. He has to get away, to where he can think, to where he can observe from far away without losing his mind. So as usual, he positions himself by the door and watches, no adores, the omega from afar. Distance is good. Distance is safe.

The shift is pretty typical for a Friday night. Plenty busy, plenty of regulars, plenty of people getting a little too drunk and a little too raucous and a little too obnoxious. Tonight, like many Friday nights, Akaashi and Kenma come to hang out at the bar while their alphas work. Hinata is friends with the two men and talks to them when he is not making drinks or getting supplies from the back or fending off advances. So many unwanted advances that Hinata sometimes questions his choice of career. But then he remembers how much money he makes as a bartender and he pushes away those thoughts.

Hinata is refilling Akaashi's drink when he looks up and notices Kageyama watching him from his post near the doorway.

"Fuck," he says to his friends. "Kageyama is always staring at me. It's annoying."

Kenma responds in an unaffected tone, "If you want him to give up just tell him you're not interested."

Hinata's head spins to face his friend. "What?"

Akaashi chimes in. "Just tell him you're not interested and he'll probably leave you alone."

Hinata looks at his friends as if they'd grown two heads. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Akaashi and Kenma exchange perplexed looks from their side-by-side bar stools.

Kenma turns to Hinata and says as if speaking to a child, "He's got a thing for you Shoyo. That's why he's always looking at you."

"No he does not," Hinata vehemently denies.

"Seriously, dude? Of course he does," exclaims Akaashi, taking another drink of his whiskey.

"What makes you say that?" Hinata asks, genuinely confused and surprised at his friends' statements. Clueless as he is.

"The way he looks at you, like he wants to devour you," Akaashi states matter-of-factly.