|| 1. The Marriage ||

Marriage as a responsibility is a huge burden to carry on one's shoulders. For Shivaay, it was just another one among the others that he was already carrying. His shoulders were habitual to it but his heart and mind were constantly pressurizing him making it all the more difficult.

From having no family and no family name, Annika was being given an identity many other women in the country aspired to have. Her heart was beating rapidly but somewhere she felt something was right.

As both of them descended the stairs, for a moment, both of their hearts stopped. For the first time in his life, nothing was going according to Shivaay's plan and he didn't mind. Annika also suddenly realized the depth of situation and how her life was now going to change drastically. But for good or bad, she didn't know. And with these thoughts going on in both of their minds, they slowly made their way down.

"Chale?" He asked in a tone that was almost alien to Annika and she looked at him dumbfounded.

"Annika, it is getting late. Shall we make a move?" He again asked and she replied with just a nod.

They made their way out of the house and Annika was now remembering how she had taken the place of Tia who apparently had ran away leaving Shivaay in a very big mess.

"Annika, I need to talk about something to you" She remembered him coming to her and asking this in a very tensed voice. She had immediately left the flowers she was sorting and saw him looking very vulnerable.

"What happened? And why are you looking so tensed?"

He took a deep breath before answering but then spoke. "Tia has run away Annika. She left with a just a letter saying that she doesn't want to marry me and now I am really stuck"

She was hell surprised and was immediately at his side.

"Kya keh rahe hai aap? You are joking right? Koi toh reason bataya hoga na usney. I mean she was so excited for this marriage. And even I was sorry to have doubted her earlier. This can't be happening"

"Well, it is happening Annika" He said sounding really defeated.

"Hum kuch karte hai. I will call Omru and we will find her. There is still some time for the marriage" She said this and started pacing around the room.

"Annika, why don't you understand? She has left me for good. And she isn't returning back" He said a bit loudly capturing Annika's attention.

"But that isn't my concern right now. I have other things to worry about. Annika, I have to ask you for a favor. I am aware that it is a huge favor and it is also wrong to ask something like this but I have no other option right now"

Annika just nodded her head asking him to go on. He gulped the lump in his throat before speaking.

"Will you marry me Annika?"

He spoke those words and Annika froze. He just asked her to marry him, to be his wife. Seeing her freeze, he snapped his fingers in front of her.

"What are you saying?" She said still in a daze.

"I knew that is a very big thing and maybe expected such a reaction from you as well. Don't worry, I will think of some other way out. Just don't tell anyone" He turned away fidgeting with his phone when she regained her composure and spoke.

"No wait, I meant that why me? There may be hundreds of girls who would love to be your wife"

"Yes, but you are the only one I can ask. You know about us. You know the situation we are in and how important this marriage is"