47

Isabella

Confusion, happiness, and a little bit of melancholy pave their way into my heart.

But as I go through the growing line of short-tempered customers to scan and pay for their myriad of products, happiness is all I express. Part of it comes from this morning, before Andreas had bolted away, and another is imitated so I seem competent in my role as an enthusiastic employee who hurriedly folds clothes into paper bags.

With every next customer, I'm recalling that my parent's knowledge regarding my love life is constructed upon false realities where I'm merrily working at a laboratory and coming home to adorable, affectionate Jasper who is expected to propose to me soon. The need to clear things up alongside the warm sensation that tells me the beginning of this morning was a hint for what Andreas might feel convinces me to ask Bridgette to take over while I scroll through my contacts at the front of the store. I'm surprised she hasn't been fired since conspiring with Dalia on the bitch's plan to fuck Andreas and make me her audience for it.

I call my mum and tap my foot on the floor, eagerly waiting to be distracted from the packs of customers ambling past me.

She answers just before I give up and return home. "Bella."

"Hey, mum."

"What are you up to?"

"I'm shopping. Can you bring dad? I have something important I need to tell the two of you."

"Of course." She grunts, likely rising from a seat. "Isaac, your daughter's got news for us."

Over the phone, there's heavy footsteps and the harsh scrape of a chair being dragged over a floor.

"Is this about that lovely boyfriend of hers?" my dad calls.

"No," I blurt out too quickly. "Well...kind of."

"Go on, Bella. Tell us what's up."

I breath deeply until I gather the courage to say, "Me and Jasper aren't together anymore. He was controlling, harsh, and a mental strain. Everything I told you about working at a lab was one hundred percent bullshit because he made sure I wouldn't get a job so that I'd be there to...satisfy him." With the progressing afternoon hour, more consumers begin to flow into the mall. My parents quietness is an order that I go on. "I met someone, and I don't have the time to provide an elaborate description on why, but I'm working at his store. And I know you're going to comment on me dating the owner, and boss, of the store I work at. The story is long. Too long."

More silence, so I continue. "I like him—so, so much. Even if he's annoying. Because I'm appreciated with him. He makes me feel...good." Really fucking good in bed. "Anyway,  I moved in with him, and it's only since then that I've been at ease. And we're starting to get serious, so...please drop your expectations for me and Jasper? I'm moving on with Andy—his name is Andreas."

I feel like a boulder that's been suffocating me for months has been hauled off my chest. My mum starts to speak, only to be interrupted by my father.

"That bastard bitch." I hear a chair squawk; he shoots up. "I knew from the day we met him that there was something off! You know he left his condom on the kitchen's counter that one day we'd invited him over? Right on top of his wallet, next to the fruit tray, like it's a fucking grape candy wrapped in plastic for one of the boys to snatch."

He curses, and then there are loud thuds telling me my dad is stomping away and on the floorboard of my old home. My mum's voice soothes my tight muscles.

"Bella...you should've told us."

"I know." I throw my arm up. "But I did it, I'm away from him, and now he's the least of my concerns."