1

"Rosie!"

I turned from my locker to face my best friend Victoria sprinting down the hallway, flash cards trailing behind her, waving a neon pink flyer in the air above her head. I sighed and slammed the locker door shut. The things she came to show me were normally things I didn't go to. Like dances, makeup tutorials at the mall, or coupons for free go-carting. All things that I ended up being dragged to anyway. She appeared next to me, panting hard.

"Look. There's a new mini-golf place on the boardwalk! We have to go!"
She said, shoving the paper in my face.

"It's glow-in-the-dark!"

I rolled my eyes.
"Viki, you know I don't like going places like this."

She heaved an overdramatic sigh.
"And you know that I say-all the time-that you can't just spend your whole life behind a wall of book! You gotta get out there, see the world, have an adventure! Plus it's summer now. You won't have anything to study for school!"

"Well, what if I don't want to have an adventure? I am perfectly fine right where I am. Besides, I already; amazingly, have a boyfriend, a best friend, and an all A average. I think I'm good."

Victoria paused and dropped her gaze.
"Um...about that boyfriend of yours... There's something I have to tell you."

I snapped my eyes to her.
"What? What happened?"

Before she could answer, a deep voice called from across the hall.
"Hey Rose!"

"Well I guess I'll leave you alone, and you can sort it out with him."
Victoria said as my boyfriend, Chad, came up behind her. She shot me one last pitiful look before disappearing into the bathroom, most likely to eavesdrop on our conversation.

"Hey babe, I haven't seen you all day."
Chad said slipping his arm around me.

"Yeah, you too."
Victoria's words replayed in my head. What did they mean? What's there something Chad was hiding from me?

"How about we head to the down to the beach? I um, have something to talk to you about."

"Uh, ok. My car or yours?"

"Mine is ok."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The benefits of living in New Jersey was having the school not that far away from the beach. It takes about 10 minutes to get there.

It was probably the most awkward 10 minutes of my life.

We both sat in total silence, looking out the windows at the passing buildings and sand.

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally arrived at the beach. The crashing waves somewhat calmed me down. I breathed in the salty air and looked out into the slowly sinking sun.

Chad's voice broke the silence.
"So um, we sorta need to talk."

He ran a hand through his unruly blonde hair.

"I, uh, I think that we...erm."

"Yes?"
By now I was beyond nervous.

"I think we um... I think we need some space for awhile."

My heart leapt into my throat. Was he breaking up with me?

"Chad what are you talking about?

"Ok I'm just gonna be honest with you. I've um, I've been cheating on you."

This was not happening.
"What?!"

"I never really wanted to hurt you, so I kind of kept it a secret."
He said sheepishly.