𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭!

Start from the beginning

"are you okay?" he walked towards her, reaching up as if he was going to brush some strands of hair away from her face. "you're acting off."

she arched a brow. "because i'm not 'throwing myself' at you?" his lips tightened. "you're the one walking on eggshells. part of me feels like it isn't breaking things off that you're nervous about." he glanced away, despite the way he shook his head, denying her statement.

"just wanted to make sure we're cool, is all." a flicker of a smirk. "if you ever wanna fuck, though, just shoot me a text. just cuz we're friends doesn't mean we can't have...benefits, y'know?"

iris didn't have to force herself to roll her eyes. "you're such a prick." she turned around, making her way back to her truck. "thanks for making me drive all the way out here for that. have a good night, rowan."

"night, iris!" he called back. she stiffened at the way he used her full first name instead of all the flower nicknames like before. so they were really ending it all, huh. "see you tomorrow."

she paused, halfway into her truck. she opened the door wider, squinting through the darkness. "sorry, what?"

he grinned at her. she didn't recognize the look in his eyes. was that him being smug? "i said i'll see you tomorrow." but before she could ask anything else, he shut the car door, started the engine, and drove off. iris watched him go, biting the inside of her cheek, before slamming her own door and staring at the steering wheel.

she was a fucking idiot.

the next morning, when she woke up, both sap and clay were dead asleep. she'd gotten home around 1am after calling alex and ranting endlessly about rowan, and the boys were playing some video game and screaming at the top of their lungs. thankfully their rooms blocked out most of the noise, but iris had to slam a pillow over her ears.

rubbing her eyes, she made her way downstairs. she was dressed in a simple gray, cropped hoodie and high waisted white pants. she glanced around the kitchen, nervous about going through their food but also feeling like her stomach was eating itself alive. i mean, she thought, i could just go out and get food. she needed to grab some things for dinner with her family tonight anyways, so might as well make a grocery trip. but nervousness gripped her throat, not wanting to make too much noise to wake up the boys, seeing as they were up later than her. tying her hair up, her phone buzzed on the table, and iris grinned when she saw who it was.

greg
how's moving in going

iris
help they aren't waking up and i'm hungry

greg
just make food

iris
no what if they mad at me

greg
then leave and get food somewhere else??

iris
but they'll hear me

greg
r u hungry or not

iris
sjdfbjkdsbfkj jfc im going im going

she quickly grabbed her keys, trying not to make too much noise. as she tied her shoes, a noise on the staircase caught her attention. there clay was, half asleep, trying not to step on patches as the cat bounded down with him. at the sound of her standing up, his bleary green eyes slid over to her, blinking slowly.

    "where are you going?"

she tried not to stutter when she noticed his lack of a shirt. "i'm grabbing breakfast, and some things from the store."