They pulled up to the guard tower outside the gate and were immediately stopped by Wolf Squadron soldiers carrying machine guns. An officer stepped from the tower and approached the driver's side of the Jeep.

"This area is restricted," he said in German. "What is your business here?"

"Orders from Berlin," said Karl. "We are here to take possession of the shipment from Norway."

"Papers," said the officer, extending his hand.

Karl provided him with the documents and the officer studied them, occasionally looking up at the four of them before going back to the papers.

"A lot of people for one shipment," he said.

"This is a very special shipment, is it not?" said Karl. "I have orders from Berlin to ensure its safest arrival. Orders...from the highest level."

There was another pause as the officer scanned the documents one last time and then handed them back to Karl.

"You'll need to see the Gruppenführer," he said. "He handles all matters of this kind. Main post on your left."

The gate opened and the officer gave a salute to Karl as they drove past.

"Heil Hitler."

"Get bent," Benny muttered.

They drove up into the base and could see that, despite its small size, it was fairly formidable. Soldiers ran from barracks and Quonset huts, loading weapons and supplies on assorted trucks and transports. Unlike the dark grays and browns of other Nazi uniforms, these soliders' outfits were a deep forest green, offset by shining silver emblems in the shape of a snarling wolf's head.

"Subtle," Benny said, taking note of the uniforms. Then he touched his head like a person who suddenly feels a migraine coming on.

"What's wrong?" Jane asked.

"I don't know," he said. "But there's something weird about this place. I'm detecting sparks everywhere."

"Probably the crystals," said Karl.

"Could be," said Benny. "But the energy feels different somehow. I don't know. I think there are users here."

"We'll find out soon enough," said Jane. "The main post is just up ahead. Let's all play it cool."

"Come on," said Benny. "Cool is my midd..."

"We had agreed that you wouldn't really speak once we got inside, yes?" Jane asked.

"Well," said Benny, "yeah."

"Best we start practicing now."

They parked the Jeep outside of the main post and walked in without incident, and walked down the hall of the building until they reached the office of the Gruppenführer, the chief officer in charge of the outpost. He was a tall, burly man with a broad chest and strong, thick arms laced with muscle. He stood up to greet them, speaking with a gravelly voice tinged with a thick accent.

"Hello my friends," he said in German. "I am Gruppenführer Jager. Welcome to the home of the Wolf Squadron! You have traveled a long way to get here, so please, let me offer you a libation."

He walked over to a cabinet and pulled out a bottle of cognac. He showed it to them with the look of a child who had a new toy.

"Very rare," he said. "Our troops have seized most of the cognac in the region and are using it for motor fuel. Motor fuel! Can you believe that? A sin. Thankfully, I managed to procure a few cases for myself. Care to join me?"