"Alright, alright," said Jane. "Can we get back to the plan? The four of us will pull up to the base and attempt to locate the crystals. If things go wrong, I'll cut the power and we'll use the distraction to move the crystals out of the base. Foxy, you'll be ready to cover our exfil."

"One question," said Karl. "Jane, if you cut the power then how will Foxy be able to use his abilities?"

In reply, Foxy grinned and produced a Zippo lighter. He flicked it and a flame sparked to life, illuminating his wide smile.

"I think I can improvise," he said.

* * *

A few minutes later, Alec, Benny, Jane and Karl were driving along the forest road that led to the base.Benny, as usual, was talking up a storm.

"OK, so we'll leave most of the talking to Karl, since he's the most fluent in German, right?" he said. "The goal will be for all of us to say as little as possible. We present the documents, you got those, right, Karl? Good. So we present those, hopefully they fly and they give us the truck and nothing goes sideways. Everyone knows what they're doing? Nothing's left to chance? No one has questions?"

"I only have one question," said Jane.

"What's that?"

"Must you chatter on so much?"

At this, Benny laughed. "Sorry, I always used to talk this much before a fight. Calms the nerves, you know? I used to talk my trainer's ear off. He never complained."

"Probably because you paid him," said Alec.

"Ha ha," said Benny. "No, he was my dad. He was a boxer too. Cruiserweight. Pretty solid guy. And man did he have a mean left. Took a shot to the head about 10 years back and he's got a blind spot now, so he can't really compete. But, truthfully, I think he liked training me even more than he did competing. He was so proud the day I first stepped between those ropes. I don't think he cared if I got knocked out in round one. Just seeing his kid in that same ring was all he needed."

Jane squeezed his shoulder. "I'm sure he's even prouder now."

"I'd like to think so," he said. "My mom isn't too happy, though. Without me around, there's nothing to keep him out of the house. He's probably driving her nuts!"

"What about you, Karl?" Jane asked. "Any family back home?"

"Oh yes," said Karl. "I have a large family back in Berlin. Sadly, I don't know if I will see any of them again."

"Why not?" asked Alec.

"Most of them still follow the Fuhrer," he said. "They see me as a traitor. A deserter to the cause."

"What do they know?" said Benny. "When we roll up to Berlin and string old Adolf up from a yardarm, they'll call you a hero."

"We'll see," said Karl.

"Besides," said Benny. "What do you need them for? You've got all the family you need right here."

Karl looked at Benny with an expression that somehow managed to be both wistful and hopeful at once.

"Do you mean that?"

"Alright, look, stop getting mushy," said Benny. "I'm not saying that I'm going to bring you to Temple in Crown Heights , OK? Just that...you're alright. Good enough?"

Karl smiled. "Good enough."

"Excellent," said Benny. "Now can we get into character, please? The gate is up ahead."