BRB: an excerpt

as i write the sequel, i find myself falling further in love with the characters i've created and built as well as their story. please enjoy this excerpt from chapter 2, just something to read while i continue to wrap up the book. it's one of my favorite scenes i've written so far :)

---

That night I pulled out the polaroid camera I hadn't used since I was 13 and took two pictures that Fez eventually helped me squeeze into a locket my mom had gotten me years prior. On the left side of the heart-shaped locket sat a picture that Ashtray took of Fez and I squished together on the couch, a wide smile on his face while I kissed his cheek. On the right is a photo of the four of us. It had taken about six tries to get the perfect picture without being able to make sure we were all lined up in the camera, but the result produced a photo that would encapsulate my favorite memory.

Our faces were squished together tightly, squeezing to fit into the small polaroid. Faye and I stood behind the couch, leaning over it; my face shoved between the heads of Ashtray and Fez, while hers rested on Fez's other shoulder. Her and I shared the widest smiles by far, but we didn't mind. Fez was smiling, his head tipped toward me, and his eyes focused on my face. Ashtray was smiling as well, a bold grin that came from our faces being pressed together while I poked his stomach. The feeling of love and happiness that stemmed from looking at the picture was overwhelming, but I relished it.

None of us were biologically related, but we formed a small family full of mismatched people and personalities who somehow fit perfectly together – the pieces of a puzzle that none of us knew we were missing, but now we couldn't live without. Forever a family.