The Right to be Me- Peter Quill

This one-shot is based from this episode from Star Trek: TNG "the Outcast."
For a little context, the episode centers on Commander Riker's relationship with Soren, a person from the Ja'naii, which is an agender race, but she identifies as female (which is  taboo in her culture, not much unlike how trans/non-binary people in our world are treated).

I was thinking that the Guardians stumble upon the reader who is part of a similar race, who is supposed to be agender, but doesn't identify as such, but she is afraid to leave her people for fear of the unknown.
She falls in love with Peter, who tries to understand how this works (bearing in mind that Peter Quill is a straight cis man who was raised in Midwest USA back in the 70s and was taken from his world long before trans issues even became mainstream).

Special guest star in this one-shot too.
Some cisheteronormativity on Peter's part (not done in a malicious way though).

I hope I can do this one-shot at least some justice. Enjoy.

"Remind me again, how exactly did you manage to frack up the engines the way you did?" you inquire of Peter Quill as you examine the state of the engines on the man's ship.
"Hey, I had nothing to do with that, it was Rocket's doing," Peter gets defensive, "he got us lost in the forest while trying to park the thing." 

"Well in Rocket's defense, if you had a guide with you, someone who's lived in this world since they were born, that probably wouldn't have been a problem," you say with a smirk, which Peter scoffs, "don't worry," you assure, "I should have this fixed in no time. You may want to wait a couple hours or so before restarting the engines." "Duly noted," Peter nods, "I gotta be honest, (y/n), I didn't expect you to be this good with this kind of thing?"
"What do you mean?" you ask, feeling a little confused. "Well uh...I guess this know how on ships," Peter admits, "you know where I'm from most uh, females didn't take too much interest in auto mechanics and such."

"You do know I'm not a female, right, Quill?" you ask. "Uh, what?" Peter looks at you now, feeling a little confused.

The Guardians had received a message from a cohort on your planet which you were part of, requesting they venture into the forests of your home-world to retrieve a special object that was needed to further their political cause. Not much was known to the Guardians in terms of your race, but there was definitely an androgynous about your kind. Though Peter took noticed that you seemed to present yourself a little more feminine, especially when you were just with the team.

"There are no males, females, he's or she's in a race without gender," you explain to Peter, "you could say we are...agender." "A...gender? Without a gender, I don't understand, how does that even work? How do...I don't know, do anything?" "I fail to understand the question," you tell him, "we have wants, needs, and desires just like anyone else. We eat, drink, and live, and have dreams just like you do." "How do you refer to each other in terms of pronouns?" Peter asks, "what I do call you? It? Where I'm from, that's considered rude."
"We have special pronouns to use in my language," you explain, "but there's no...direct translation for your language."
"Well I guess I'll just have to muddle through," Peter says. "For the record, Quill, my people find the concept of gender just as strange as you find our concept of no gender," you tell him, "I do find myself curious, though, on how that works. Male and female. What exactly makes you different from, say, Gamora or Mantis?"
"Besides the obvious differences in skin color?" Peter asks, thinking about what he was taught from his mother about what made a man different from a woman.

He then proceeded to tell you what he learned based from his music and what he saw on TV (which understandably consisted of a lot of gender roles and focused a lot on the gender binary). "Well that sounds...rather confusing," you admit, "a little restrictive too, if I'm being honest. Maybe more restrictive then what my people believe." "What exactly do your people believe?" Peter asks. "Well...we used to have genders," you explain, "but over time, we evolved and done away with such concepts both in the social and biological sense. In this way, many of my people consider ourselves superior to other races in that we don't have to fraught over such differences. Without gender, we can truly see ourselves as equals."