Come Home

"I'm so sorry, uncle!"
"No, no, my child, it's ok.."
Dhiren gave a small, weary smile as he watched the schoolgirl who had bumped into him bow sheepishly and disappear around the bend into the alley. Of course..it was the last day at the neighbouring school. That was why these Class 12 students seemed so out of their pace today. These kids- they grow up so fast.

These session breaks and vacations at the school were always the hardest times for him. The only reality of Dhiren's old age was loneliness, loneliness and loneliness. His wife had made for the afterlife long ago, and his son was in the US for the past five years. It would be two more years before he would get to shift back here again. He had been so busy recently that Dhiren could not remember when he had last actually spoken to his son.
Currently, Dhiren's only moments of solace were the afternoons at the southern window on the ground floor of his empty house, watching the children crowd the streets,  hollering as they made their way back home from school. One or two even stopped to speak to him.
When the children weren't there, the hours felt long and dreary.

Dhiren headed home.
The house-help had gone home for lunch.
He occupied his familiar spot by the window by way of habit, although today it was later than usual, and there were no more children to watch.

Watching the parade of life outside the window always reminded him of how his life used to be in the bygone days.
Dhiren had grown up in a joint family and had been a well-known person in his neighbourhood due to his open, friendly and helpful nature. He used to work as a secretary in a government office and made enough to live a happy, fulfilled middle-class life. In his younger days he used to tutor children in the evening.

Alas, now the family, friends, neighbours and people he had grown up knowing had all moved on to the afterlife, and the children, including his only son, had all moved on towards a successful life. Dhiren was the only one left behind- neither here, nor there, just sitting and watching them all through the window.
The streets were empty today. The dry wind that swept the dried bougainvillea off the streets seemed to resonate in his heart as well. Everything felt so empty today.

Meow!
The cat that frequented the windowsill was back again. "Mini..you're back..Wait, little one, let me get you something to eat." He brought her some leftover rice and fish; he always saved some for her. He never had visitors, but the cat came everyday.

A soft laugh escaped his lips as he mumbled to his absent son, "Babu, do you remember how you used to love playing with the neighbourhood cats when you were little? I used to scold you.. Babu..O Babu...Babu.."

Why did the room feel so warm and bright suddenly? His heart was beating too fast and the sweeping wind that resonated in his chest was getting too harsh.

"O Mini..tell my Babu to come home.."
Mini had been chased away by the neighbour for picking at her drying pickles. But she would be back. Tomorrow.
Babu..Would Babu be back?

Dhiren felt paralysed..sleepy..

"Dear, could you make some of Babu's favourite fish curry today? My Babu is coming home...O Babu...Come home..."
Darkness descended upon the weary wrinkled eyelids.

"Dear..I am coming home."