Best Friends

"Dude, you're totally cheating right now!" I hear Jamie yell at Tyler. They're playing NHL 15 in the living room and apparently, Tyler has been cheating for the past three games.

"I'm not cheating! Have you ever thought that maybe you're just a crap hockey player?" Tyler taunts back at Jamie.

Ever since Tyler and Jamie met in the locker room, they've been best friends ever since. It's nice that Jamie has made friends, but I've been trying to fill out job applications for the past hour and haven't been able to concentrate because of their yelling.

"I'm not a crap hockey player, you're just a cheater!" Jamie yells once again and I roll my eyes.

"I swear, I'm not cheating!" Tyler screams back at Jamie and I now know that this will never end. "How can I prove it to you?" Tyler asks Jamie, but I don't hear a response.

I take advantage of the silence, even though it may be for only a few minutes, and I begin to fill out my first application. I am currently a freelance photographer, so I'm applying for a magazine company here in Dallas.

My door opens quickly and I jump at the sound.

"Come down here and kick Tyler's ass." Jamie demands and I sigh.

"If I play one game, will you promise to leave me alone until I get this done?"

"Sure." Jamie agrees and I follow him downstairs.

Tyler sees me and begins laughing, "Are you serious? You really think playing a game against her will prove that I'm not cheating?" He taunts and I roll my eyes as I grab the controller from the couch.

"What, are you scared or something?" I taunt back at him and his expression fades.

"Obviously not." He says and Jamie laughs.

"Watch out, Tyler. She's pretty damn good." He warns Tyler, but he brushes it off.

"We'll see about that." He retorts and takes the controller off the table.

We select our team and the game begins, Tyler gets a strong start by scoring first. "Yes!" He shouts and I shake my head.

The score is 1-0 after the first, and we begin the second. I score late in the period, jumping up off the couch in my celebration.

The third period starts slow, a few penalties on each of us, but no one scores. There's thirty seconds left in the period, before it heads into overtime. I come up the ice, a slap-shot as one last chance to win the game. It slides past the goaltender and I scream.

"Yes! I won!" I push Tyler's shoulder in excitement, but he's frozen in shock. "I guess you weren't cheating, then." I tell him and throw the controller in his lap.

"I let you win. I felt bad for you." He tells me and Jamie laughs, "Don't lie, Tyler! A girl beat you at NHL 15, so just get over it."

Tyler sits there in shock and I make my way back into my room to finally have some peace. I lay down on my bed and continue writing down my information on the never ending application. The peace doesn't last for long, because my door opens for the second time today. This time, though, it was Tyler.

I look up from the application. He stands there, closing the door behind him.

"Hey." He greets me and walks towards me.

"Hello." I say slowly, unsure of his intentions. It's silent for a few moments before he looks at what I'm doing.

"What are you doing?" He comes over to me and sits next to me, looking over my shoulder.

"If you must know, I've been trying to fill out an application for the past two hours."

"What position are you applying for?" He asks me, fixing the hat on top of his head.

"Photographer." I tell him and he nods.

"Could you show me some of your work?" I sigh and sit up on my bed, grabbing my computer.

"I won't get that packet filled out anyways, so why not?"

///

I just wanted to say thank you for reading! Please remember to vote if you liked this chapter :)