A Troubled Road

"Jamie, I think we're on the wrong expressway." He groans and rolls his eyes.

"Are you actually underestimating my natural instincts?"

"Yes." I state, continuing to look at the map on my phone. "No, seriously. We're going the wrong way!" I complain.

"No, we're not! Look, I'll prove it to you. Which exit should we be passing next?" He asks me and I retreat to my phone.

"It says that we should be passing... exit 27." I tell him and he begins to search for the exit sign.

It hasn't even been a half an hour and we're already lost. Maybe I should drive the car.

"There's the sign!" Jamie shouts, pulling me from my thoughts. "What does it say?" He asks and I squint, the sign is still too far to see.

"It says... exit 91. I told you we we're going the wrong way!" I scold him and he begins to get defensive.

"What's your problem? Calm down, we can just turn around." He says and merges into the exit lane.

"Well, I'm sorry if I would like to get there before hockey season starts!" I complain and he continues to argue me.

"It isn't all my fault, you know. You could have told me the right directions for once!"

"Wow, Jamie. So, now you're blaming this on me? I told you the right directions, you just forgot to listen to me!"

"Whatever, Jade." He rolls his eyes at me once again as I tell him the directions to get onto the correct expressway.

~

"Aw, look at that cute store! Let's stop there!" I plead to Jamie. We're still driving, but in a cute, small town that I've never heard of. There are a bunch of small shops and family restaurants, making me want to stop at every one I see.

"I thought you wanted to get to Dallas before hockey season starts?" Jamie replies sarcastically and for the first time, it's me that rolls my eyes.

"Well, you haven't said anything to me in awhile and I'm bored." I admit and he takes his eyes off the road for a quick second to glance at me.

"Fine." He eventually agrees and pulls over into the small boutique's parking lot.

We walk into the store and my eyes go wide. The store has almost every clothing item you could think of.

"Look at this!" I say and take a hat from the shelf. It's a large, ugly hat that reminds me of an old grandmother. Its color is a dull pink, something from the fifties, maybe.

"That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my entire life." Jamie says. I can tell he's still upset, because he has a disgusted look on his face while scanning the entire boutique.

"Oh, Jamie. Lighten up!" I plead. "Come on, try it on." I say and he looks at me confused.

"What? Hell no, I'm not putting that thing on my head." He demands and I laugh.

"Please?" I ask and give him my puppy dog eyes.

Jamie cannot tell me no when I give him the puppy dog eyes. Although he's upset with me, we still are best friends. We love each other so much that we would do anything for one another, and when Jamie sees me sad or upset, I know it bothers him. I can tell that our fight in the car is still bothering him to this moment.

"No, Jade. I'm sorry." He apologizes and begins to walk away.

"Wait!" I grab his arm to turn him back around to face me. "I'm sorry that I got upset with you when we were driving. It wasn't your fault." I apologize and I see his eyes lighten up as he looks at me with wide eyes.

"Jade, it was my fault. I'm sorry for not believing you when you told me that we were going the wrong way."

"Let's just forget about it and just have a good time on our way to Dallas. Alright?" I ask and he smiles. He continues to watch me for a few seconds before taking the hat from my hands.

"Gimme this ugly thing." He says and puts it on top of his head.

We both erupt with laughter. He looks at himself in the mirror and just shakes his head. I take out my phone and begin to take pictures of him.

"Don't you dare post these on Instagram or anything!" Jamie threatens and I shake my head.

"I won't, don't worry." I assure him as he places the hat back onto the shelf.

"Good, now let's get out of here."

We walk out of the store and get back into the car, on our way to our forever home.

///

Hey everyone ! I just wanted to say a quick thank you for reading and voting for this story. I hope it's good, but we'll just have to see how it goes as I begin to write more and more chapters.

Thank you :)