Heartbreak

It's been almost a week since that night Jamie and Tyler fought, Jamie revealing a secret that they had both kept from me. Tyler hasn't stopped trying to call me, not letting another hour pass before trying again.

I haven't answered, mostly because I'm so angry at him, but also because I don't know what I would even say to him.

I haven't left my room since that terrible day, everything that I see reminds me of specific memories that Tyler and I shared. I really liked him, a lot more than I thought I did.

I hear a faint knock on my door and look up from my pillow to see Jamie holding a plate of food.

"Can I come in?" He asks me, and I nod my head.

He sits down next to me and places the plate on my bedside table.

"You haven't eaten in days." He tells me, looking at me.

"Why do you care? You hate me." I mumble, turning away from him.

"I thought you hated me." He tells me.

"I'm sure the feeling is mutual."

"I don't hate you, Jade."

"Then why haven't you talked to me since we fought?" I question him, turning my head towards him.

"I don't know..." He pauses. "I guess I just don't know what to say to you."

"Why not? We used to talk all the time." I state, playing with my blanket that I've been wrapped up in for about a week.

"I don't know, Jade. It's just... different." He looks down at his feet, silence filling the room.

"Jamie, I can't understand what you're talking about until you tell me and stop with all the vague descriptions." I tell him.

"It's hard to talk about the girl you like to the girl you like." He looks over to me, almost to see my reaction.

"Well, you can try, but Brittany could get in the way of that." I say, turning back over to face him.

"Brittany?" He laughs. "I dumped her last week."

"Wait, you did? When?" My questions come off abrupt and a little more eager than I wish they would have sounded.

"Right after we fought. I confronted her about it and it turns out that she lied. Of course she never told me, but I heard it in her voice."

"I'm sorry." I place my hand onto his, squeezing it gently.

"It's fine. I mean, I never had real feelings for her anyways."

"Then why did you continue to date her?"

"I saw how happy you were with Tyler and I thought that I could be that happy one day, but I was trying to force it with Brittany. We had nothing in common and she was hard to talk to."

"Well, I'm sorry that it didn't work out. If it makes you feel any better, Tyler and I aren't together anymore so it turns out he wasn't that intrigued with me." He gives me a reassuring smile.

"Can we just forget that any of this happened?" Jamie offers.

"I would love that." I smile and pull him into a hug. "I missed you, Jamie." I whisper.

"I missed you too, Jade."

~

"Did you get my usual?" I ask Jamie as he walks in with ice cream for both of us.

"Of course, who do you think I am? A terrible best friend?" He gasps and hands me a cup of ice cream with a spoon.

"Only sometimes." I wink at him and sit down on the couch, flipping through TV channels.

Jamie sits next to me as we sit in silence while watching our favorite TV show.

"I have to leave for a few days this week." He looks over at me. "Just a road-trip."

"When will you be back?" I question.

"Five days."

"I'll miss you." I pout at him and he apologizes for having to leave.

"Trust me, I'll be back sooner than you think." He turns towards me. "I have to annoy you sometime this week." He laughs, but it dies out quickly, almost as if he remembered something.

"Have you heard from Tyler?"

"No," I begin, taking a breath. "He hasn't called me in two weeks."

"Wow, I wonder why he gave up."

"Because I wasn't gonna answer the phone." I laugh and Jamie nods his head understandingly.

"I better go and pack my stuff, I leave tomorrow morning." Jamie says and places a kiss on the top of my head before going upstairs to pack his things.