【Twenty-Five】

Start from the beginning

   The figure squeezed your arm. You ignored it.

   "Yes."

   "What...what was Jon doing to scare them?"

   "He was being mean. He called me a freak and said they weren't real. He was threatening us."

   The counselor's brows furrowed, "...Jon saying they weren't real scared your friend?"

   You shook your head, strays of hair moving with the slow motion.

   "They were scared he was going to hurt me."

   You looked back to the side to see the figure covering their face in your arm, small whispery whimpers escaped the translucent figure.

   "So I hurt him to show them we'd be safe."

   They paused. They leaned back in their chair and turned to their computer typing something in.

   "What's your friend's name?" They asked without looking away from the screen.

   "Jasper."

   "Last name?"

   You turned to the figure beside you. Their hollow eyes looked nervous as they subconsciously scratched at their head which was splattered with dried blood. They hesitated before moving closer and whispering something to you.

   "Emmons." You parroted.

   The counselor stopped.

   They turned back to you with narrowed eyes. This time they looked a little frustrated and bewildered.

   "Young lady," they hissed, "It is not nice to speak ill of the dead."

   Your expression didn't change.

   "I'm not."

   They pinched the bridge of their nose.

   "Where did you get this idea? Did you see the old memorial in the hallway and think it would be funny to use his name to get you out of trouble?"

You didn't know what a memorial was. You guessed they meant that little place in the hallway with the picture of Jasper on it.

   "No." You again replied flatly, "I'm telling you the truth."

   The child clutching your arm glared at the counselor, their lip quivering.

   "You're upsetting Jasper, sir."

   "Get out of my office." They scowled, "Your parents have been notified to come get you early."

   You shrugged yourself off the plastic chair, taking your friend's hand and leaving the room.

   "Did I get you in trouble...?" His whispery overlapped voice questioned.

   You shook your head.

   "These people are stupid." He frowned when you said the 's-word'. You sat on one of the outside office chairs, he crawled up to be beside you.