A Little Bet

Joanna's POV 

Sunrises and sunsets blend into one as next week arrives faster than I anticipated.

Since last Friday, I've allowed myself to adapt to society's beliefs: that makeup is the only thing that will make you beautiful. And with me knowing nothing about this new branch of life, Barbara volunteered to teach me by doing my makeup for today.

Her artwork is different from last time. Rather than performing a more natural look, she creates a smoky one with my eyes dark as rain clouds with a streak of black eyeliner that's the lightning in the storm.

Although, that's not the only difference from last Friday: my hair isn't in a half up half down hairstyle but is curled into my traditional beach waves.

On my way to knock on Liam's door, I can feel my leggings rubbing together as my legs try to tear their way to freedom from the suffocating fabric. In rhythm to the motion, the words papa would say if he knew I was wearing this outfit- a gray sweatshirt and leggings rather than a dress or a pair of jeans with a blouse shirt- come rushing to mind: do you want to look like a bum? You must always look elegant in the presence of others!

Meanwhile, all those words that appeared in my mind vanish to the sound of Liam saying, "Wow, y-you look gorgeous."

Turning into the stars that I've always wanted to be on TV, I give Liam a challenging smirk, staring at his amazed eyes. "Thanks, you don't look too bad yourself."

That confidence that's a sunset identical to the one that's outside, beams inside of me remains as we make our way towards the kitchen to say goodbye to Barbara.

Our footsteps are drowned out by the ear splitting steps of Haven and Zara dashing through the front door, sprinting at Liam as if their was a bomb about to explode seconds behind them.

"Hey, hey, hey no running in the house," Liam says, getting swarmed by miniature arms wrapping around him.

"You're coming back, right?" Haven asks, pulling away from Liam's arms, looking into his eyes with desperation in hers. "Promise me you will."

Her voice is frail, blocked out by the force of something in her mind telling her that her brother will be gone forever.

Amongst her earthy eyes, tears form, and all I want to do is hug her, hold her in my arms and tell her that though I may not know what is going on, what is making her feel this way, I'm here for her.

Yet, Liam gets there first, kneeling down in front of her, holding her cheek the same way he held mine when he surprised me with pointless medicine; his eyes having the same sympathy as before.

"I'm never going to leave you, okay? Never." His smooth lips press against Haven's forehead, stopping the unseeable thoughts that race through her mind. "I'll be back just around both of your bedtimes." He lets go of her face, using both of his pinkies to pinky-promise both her and Zara. "I promise."

A shaky breath decamps from her mouth as she unclamps her pinky from Liam's. Her attention directs itself onto me; her eyes the color of caramel lattas held by those who only wish to waste their money, look into mine.

Inside them, I observe a little girl in a princess dress around the age of nine- the same as Haven and Zara- who looks like a stranger yet she is me.

Her dreams were to have a prince fall in love with her like the Disney movies she'd watch, however, the only thing that's falling is a pair of tears streaming down her face that's a silent plea for help.

"How about you two go upstairs and watch a movie, dinner should be done soon," Liam explains. And within Haven's eyes that little girl washes away, though I can see the plea for help still loitering in them.