Chapter 16 - Confrontation

•~~•

"Hey, Alex," Sam called from his work station, trying to get the intern's attention.

"What's up?" She called back, looking up from a random gadget she was tinkering with.

"Could you come give me a hand? I need some help with my trident."

"Sure! One second!" She set down her gadget, giving the living mushroom on her desk a pat on its head before walking over to Sam's workbench.

Everything was fine. They talked and joked, fixing up the weapon and just enjoying each other's company.

"So, and I know it's a bit of a childish question," Alex started, handing Sam a few tools he'd just asked for. "But do you have like- I don't know, the adult version of a crush on anybody?"

Sam chuckled, taking the tools and using them to fix some wiring on the inside of the trident. "That's a bit of a personal question." He said teasingly.

"You don't have to say who it is, or even answer if you don't want to." Alex chuckled, shaking her head at the Hero.

Sam just chuckled, a beat of silence passing between the two before he responded. "Yes, I do have- well, sort of? We are dating so.."

She looked at the Hero in surprise, her jaw hanging open while she half smirked at him. "Yooooo, look at you." She said teasingly, chuckling a little bit.

He chuckled a little bit as well, a comfortable silence falling over the two of them as Sam finished up the repairs on his trident.

Once he was done, he put the paneling back on, screwed everything in place to keep it secure and picked it up. He took a few steps back from the workbench and twirled it around in his hands.

While he was asking for tools he'd said that there was a clinking sound whenever he spun the weapon around, but now there was no sound coming from the trident. At hearing nothing while spinning it around, he stopped and held it against the ground, turning to Alex with a smile and a thumbs up.

Sam wanted to say something to Alex, but before he could even open his mouth-

BOOM