Margaret Hale and John Thornton 16

**

At John's house the day after the party.

Hannah, standing near the window on the second floor, watched workers constantly carrying the cargo to be shipped and horses carrying lots.

Hannah saw a worker who was resting on the side of the building and called out to Margaret when she had just come from the other side. She stopped and responded him with a smile. The other workers sitting nearby joined the friendly conversation.

Hannah slowly returned to her chair and continued to embroider.

**

After dark, finishing his work, John came into the drawing room. He said happily:

"Mother, we recouped the cost of last month's shipment today. I'm relieved."

He put the ledger on the desk, reporting the business situation to her. His mother sat down with embroidery and said:

"Good for you, John."

"We'll be able to pay our bills, our next purchase by ourselves."

He took off his jacket and put it on the back of the chair, walking over to the cup, loosening his tie. Seeing her son, Hannah placed the fabric on the table and slowly got up from the chair. She turned to him.

"John, I'd like to talk about what's to come."

He stopped and stared at his mother who paused for a moment, then began to speak again

"You two should live in the room I'm using now.  I mean, after marriage. It's the biggest. I'm going to move into Fanny's room."

"Mother"

He looked at his mother, who had never uttered the word "marriage" before. She glanced toward the back of the house,  saying to herself.

"I'll start organizing things a little bit..."

Her son came close to her and put his hand on her arm.

"Oh, Mother."

"John, I've decided to trust Miss Hale. Because I know she believes in you."

She continued, staring at her son.

"I'm convinced both of you trust each other.  That's good enough for me."

She looked from her son to the embroidery on the desk.

"Here is the last one that has our name, you and I. Next one must have your and Margaret's initials."

He stared at his mother who was wearing an expression of relief. And sadness.