Margaret Hale and John Thornton 2

**

The sun tilted west and its light reflected in Margaret's hair.

"I wonder if the Higgins are all well... I sent a letter, but never got a reply."

She appeared relaxed as she took off her jacket.

John's gaze lingered on her blouse, on the soft fabric that hugged her slim frame.

"Even in the final days of the mill, that fellow stubbornly kept working."

He laughed slightly.

"I see... Was he such a serious person?" said Margaret.

John's expression implied that was the case.

She looked at him.

"When Nicholas was allowed to work at your mill, he was surprised."

"What? Because of the machine?"

"No, because of you," she continued.

"You visited him and apologized for suspecting he was lying.  About Boucher's children." 

"..."

"You were the owner...and the only person who could do that. I... when I heard that  I was so pleased and proud of you."

John gave a modest smile.

**

The scenery outside continued to drift by.

John gathered his thoughts, then spoke to Margaret.

"If I hadn't met Higgins yesterday, I wouldn't be here now. Like this, with you. If it weren't for what that fellow said."

"...Pardon?"

This time she asked. He shifted in his seat, searching for the right words.

"I never knew you had a brother."

"Ah..."

She started to speak something but her voice was too quiet and drowned out by the sound of the train.

He continued:

"I always thought that the man I saw at the station was your lover. I never had a doubt."

She looked down and muttered "my brother..."

"I'm sorry I never told you myself. There were a few chances to say it, but...honestly, I..."

He watched her gold earrings twitch.

He said calmly:

"I'm glad it was your brother."

He pulled her close with his arm and pressed his bearded cheek against the earring.

He said one more time:

"I'm glad...it was your brother."

He hugged her shoulder as she leaned into him.  The train swayed side to side, taking them farther and farther from their old lives.