Margaret Hale and John Thornton 6

Margaret was genuinely surprised.

"... How do you know I'm here?"

John didn't answer and came closer to her.

"I have something to tell you."

"Actually," he paused, "I'm going to London later today on the night train to negotiate the purchase of some materials."

"Oh..."

"I' m afraid we cannot have dinner with my mother tonight. "

Margaret stared at him.

"I'm sorry to hear that...but you have to go to London. At any rate the first priority is to reopen the mill. Get the business off the ground as soon as possible."

John took a step closer without saying a word and touched her cheek with the palm of his hand as she looked up at him. He thought it was a miracle. He had encountered someone who could share the same future with him, and accept him. And here they were together.

**

They walked further up the stairs. Margaret naturally put her hand on John's arm. She opened the door to the sitting room where her father and John once talked about Plato. Books were still lined up as before.

"My father...used to tell me about you a lot before he went to Oxford. It must have been great fun for him to exchange ideas with you from different perspectives. He often said there would be something to teach and something to be taught."

John looked at the space where his tutor and he had discussions.

"I've always liked this room."

He looked at the picture frame on the wall.

"I like such a simple picture, a chair with a clean cover, a thick book spread out on a desk, a basket piled with oranges and apples... I always felt at home here. I loved listening to the conversations between your family."

John mumbled to himself.

"This is the kind of room...I've been looking for. I really miss Mr. and Mrs. Hale. I wish I had spent more time with your parents."

"I..."

Margaret realized she was crying. Staring at her, he held her close.

"You had been thinking of everybody in this house until you lost all of them. It's your turn to be thought of.  "

She was enveloped in his scent.