They made me do it, obsession (22) special preview, part 1/2

Emilio closed his eyes. Sitting in the hallway by himself was enough tension for him today. The industrial lighting gave him a headache. He fucking hated it here.

"Mr. Casey?" Emilio looked up at the suited man that called for him. He nodded and stood, entering the room he was beckoned into.

"Well." His boss's voice sent a chill down his spine. "Our little moneymaker."

"Hello, boss." He kept a straight face and folded his hands behind his back.

"You know why I called you here?"

"No, sir."

"Your performance is falling short, Mr. Casey. Do you forget our deal?" He closed his eyes and his posture slipped. Just for a second.

"No, sir."

"Come here." Emilio could see the men standing in the corners. Even though their sunglasses shielded their eyes, he knew they were staring at him. Watching him. Following him as he slowly walked over to the head of the table. "Sit down." He did. "Let me tell you a story, Mr. Casey." His boss poured him a glass. "When you first took out a loan, I saw something in you. You were young, naive, hoping to make a living out in the cruel slums of Manhattan. You hoped it would help your brother live a relatively normal life, no?" Emilio stayed silent. "Look at you now." The man raised an eyebrow. "Speak, Casey."

"Is that a compliment, sir?" He mumbled. The man nodded.

"Indeed. You have proven yourself very useful. It takes a lot to please me. For years you have been an asset. I'm proud of you," he touched Emilio's cheek. "Up to a point." Emilio's breath hitched in his throat. "That point is something I'd like to talk to you about today." He waved his hand dismissively. "Boys, leave us."

The men in sunglasses nodded and filed out of the room, the last one closing the door behind him. He snapped and the lights dimmed. "Emilio, you realize the life of your brother rests on your performance." The man spoke so quietly, Emilio had to strain to hear him. "What happened to you?"

"I..."

"Is it that boy?"

"What boy?"

"Don't lie." Emilio took a deep breath.

"Caprice was just a temporary setback. I'll perform better from now on." The man said nothing for a while as if trying to raise tensions on purpose. After what felt like hours, he simply nodded, looking satisfied with his answer. Emilio down stared at his hands.

"I'll hold you to that. He won't be much more of a problem now, anyway."